• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

UK Lockdown

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
Cut public service worker pay to 80% of salary but with a £30,000 cap and you might get a different answer. So many “working” inefficiently from home and in many cases effectively on holiday. What’s not to like ?
What have public sector workers done? Not their fault things have been delayed

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member

Alistair20000

What have public sector workers done? Not their fault things have been delayed
Many of them are being paid in full not to work efficiently if at all. I am not saying it is their fault. Simply explaining why they are happy with the current position. Get paid in full not to go to the office, no commuting costs, take a break to watch Royal Ascot or the football. What’s not to like ?

In all my current dealings with HMRC, the Probate Office local authorities etc there is gross and inexcusable delay and when I ask why this is the case I am told “it is all very difficult as we are working from home”

DB9

Many of them are being paid in full not to work efficiently if at all. I am not saying it is their fault. Simply explaining why they are happy with the current position. Get paid in full not to go to the office, no commuting costs, take a break to watch Royal Ascot or the football. What’s not to like ?

In all my current dealings with HMRC, the Probate Office local authorities etc there is gross and inexcusable delay and when I ask why this is the case I am told “it is all very difficult as we are working from home”
I wouldn't blame the workers, Its their management's decision to WFH and not all Public Sector Workers are WFH, In fact a good % of them never have.

angelic upstart

Cut public service worker pay to 80% of salary but with a £30,000 cap and you might get a different answer. So many “working” inefficiently from home and in many cases effectively on holiday. What’s not to like ?
It is strange that. I’ve worked from home throughout, had much more work early on, and every Business I work with very quickly changed the ways they worked and got on with it very quickly. This doesn’t seem to have happened with some area of public services. No idea why though.

tavyred

From memory about 15% of those in work are in the public sector, and many of those have had to attend their normal work station anyway, how is an across the board 71% approval rating for a delay in the lifting in restrictions indicative of a specific public sector reluctance to get back to work normally?
Explain yourself Al.

IndoMike

Very unfair comments about those working from home, Ali. You are assuming that they are lazy without any evidence or justification at all. Usually WFH can easily be monitored by a decent IT dept and any decent group leader or manager can ensure his employees do the required work. Who cares if the WFH employee has a long lunch break as long as she/he does the work and doesn't get backlogged?
I know it's difficult for landed gentry to keep up with the times - being sheltered from the real world -:but WFH is here to stay The times they-are-a -changing, Ali.
You'd better start swimming or you'll sink like a stone
By the way:
1. Is saving on commuting time such a sin?
2. Have you done WFH? Did you become lazy?
3. Please develop a better opinion of British workers. The majority are responsible and hard-working.
4. Little personal anecdotes are not evidence

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
I was surprised at the high number in favour of extending the restrictions for four weeks. I would have thought those polled were representative of the population rather than just public sector workers. I get the impression from all walks of life that people aren't happy with the extension, so was surprised to see polling data saying 71% were happy.

DB9

I was surprised at the high number in favour of extending the restrictions for four weeks. I would have thought those polled were representative of the population rather than just public sector workers. I get the impression from all walks of life that people aren't happy with the extension, so was surprised to see polling data saying 71% were happy.
Indeed it is a high % I think though this number would decrease sharply if in July it gets extended again, My view is this extension is purely down to dithering of the Government a few months back, Everyone saw this coming yet our borders were left open unchecked for anyone coming in from India, Not being put on the red list straight away, Giving people too much notice before India was put on that list so a mad dash by people to get back, Also the sheer madness of mixing people in the airport terminals, All crammed in before it took over a week to separate people, So in the end we've no choice but to delay but a delay I put squarely at the Governments door.

IndoMike

Indeed it is a high % I think though this number would decrease sharply if in July it gets extended again, My view is this extension is purely down to dithering of the Government a few months back, Everyone saw this coming yet our borders were left open unchecked for anyone coming in from India, Not being put on the red list straight away, Giving people too much notice before India was put on that list so a mad dash by people to get back, Also the sheer madness of mixing people in the airport terminals, All crammed in before it took over a week to separate people, So in the end we've no choice but to delay but a delay I put squarely at the Governments door.
You're absolutely right.
The "Indian /Delta" strain was well-known by mid-March, but incoming flights from India were not banned until around April 20th.
Why? Because Johnson was just about to do a big trade deal push with India - remember his own trip there was postponed - and he didn't want to upset them.
And why the rush to do the trade deal? Because Johnson is desperate to show the UK can do well outside the EU
Johnson put trade first.