• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

UK Lockdown

tavyred

Very well known Exeweb poster
Thanks RP, yours is a long list of gripes that on first reading seem whole or in part justifiable. I’m not sure however that even if they didn’t exist it would’ve changed the UK’s plan to tackle the virus.
What you don’t answer though is yours and Ali’s contention that somehow there was another way available off the shelf that would’ve saved the economy yet at the same time not caused a catastrophic meltdown in our hospitals as a result of greatly increased infections. I’m no expert in all things medical but I don’t think it’s as easy you think to provide acute medical care staff at the drop of a hat or even within months. The inconsistencies you cite are IMO totally consistent with a government desperate to keep some economic activity going in the face of a global pandemic that has the capacity to make a lot a people very ill in very short order. No plan was ever going to factor in a lot more people getting ill as part of the solution. Sorry, we don’t do public health that way in this country.
The U.K. response has broadly mirrored every other European country which would suggest there wasn’t too much in the way of an alternative.

tavyred

Spoonz.
Taiwan has had 600 infections in total.

Spoonz Red E

Spoonz.
Taiwan has had 600 infections in total.
Because of measures that were taken.

arthur

The government's approach, from the start, has been unintelligent. Big broad scope data tells us little, especially for a virus that, unlike flu, spreads in bursts via clusters rather than quietly working its way through the population from one person to the next. Mass testing is the latest example of this - lots of the worried well turn up while those faced with the choice between going to work and feeding their families stay away.

The result is that no-one is satisfied. Those who see their liberties unnecessarily curtailed are increasingly furious. Jonathan Sumption is an eloquent spokesperson. Those who agree with the measures see little or no reward for their efforts and sacrifices. And don't even talk about the cost and the billions squandered on knee jerk policy decisions that achieve little.

The right approach has always been to empower local public health teams who can take a street by street approach to identifying where the virus is spreading and take appropriate and effective action to contain its spread. Some councils will do this better than others, and the government's role should be to provide the support that will enable all local authorities to function effectively.

Instead, this supposed anti establishment government has concentrated more and more power at the centre and then sub contracted lots of it out to its third rate mates in the private sector. Result - misery and discontent all round

RedPaul

Well-known Exeweb poster
Thanks RP, yours is a long list of gripes that on first reading seem whole or in part justifiable. I’m not sure however that even if they didn’t exist it would’ve changed the UK’s plan to tackle the virus.
What you don’t answer though is yours and Ali’s contention that somehow there was another way available off the shelf that would’ve saved the economy yet at the same time not caused a catastrophic meltdown in our hospitals as a result of greatly increased infections. I’m no expert in all things medical but I don’t think it’s as easy you think to provide acute medical care staff at the drop of a hat or even within months. The inconsistencies you cite are IMO totally consistent with a government desperate to keep some economic activity going in the face of a global pandemic that has the capacity to make a lot a people very ill in very short order. No plan was ever going to factor in a lot more people getting ill as part of the solution. Sorry, we don’t do public health that way in this country.
The U.K. response has broadly mirrored every other European country which would suggest there wasn’t too much in the way of an alternative.
Cheers Tavy. I could write another epistle in response but I've probably bored people enough and City are on shortly.

Suffice to say I agree there is no 'off the shelf' model but the Gov don't seem to learn from understandable mistakes and inconsistencies. I agree you can't find acute medical staff at the drop of a hat so why build up false hope (and waste billions) on building Nightingales if you can't staff them. Be honest.

Businesses have absolutely had the rug pulled from underneath them. They spent, individually, fortunes on putting in measures to restrict spread- measures that would simply have been unthinkable 10 months ago, and yet they still cannot trade. All because a few pubs in Leeds (for example) didn't follow the rules and let the students cram in.

fred binneys head

What about following another bit of the science and imposing restrictions on vulnerable groups, starting with known illnesses and specific ages groups. Youngsters overwhelmingly catch Covid and get better within a few days. Let them keep the economy going whilst protecting the elderly and already ill. I’ve simplified it here but there could have been another way.

I agree it isn’t easy and all governments have struggled, but I agree with RP’s post earlier. The way this government have made decisions and communicated those decisions has been entirely as I expected it to be from a Johnson-led government: shiite.

Grecian2K

The way this government have made decisions and communicated those decisions has been entirely as I expected it to be from a Johnson-led government: shiite.
True but you'll never get some to disavow this incompetent, inept and borderline corrupt adminisatration.

Having nailed their colours firmly to the Tory mast to admit that they were taken for a ride would be for them to admit their own fallibility (and/or gullibility). A bit like the sucker who, although undoubtedly sold an out and out pup by the shady used car dealer still stubbornly maintains (despite the knocking bearings, rattling tappets and the rainbow of warning lights displayed on the dashboard) that "it's the bestest motor evah"!

Still, I suppose they can still live in hope that their unswerving loyalty and fawning sycophancy will be recognised and rewarded by some form of inclusion in Johnson's eventual resignation (dis)honour list.

tavyred

G2K.
I’m fully prepared to concede that some people’s willingness to give this government a squeeze as regards their performance will be part influenced by whether they voted for them or not.
I hope you would similarly concede that you couldn’t give this particular government a fair hearing if your life depended on it.
We all like our choices in life to be given the added affirmation of being seen as correct. I’m guessing there’s another group of voters wrestling with their choices of government in the three European countries that have higher death rates than ours.🤷‍♂️
In my darkest moments I do find solace in the fact that it could’ve been your mob in charge, escaped a fecking bullet there haven’t we?

Mr Jinx

Another downside of all this is that Mike Ashley is about to snaffle up another huge chunk of the high street (Arcadia). Normally this would be a very bad thing, but as the current owner is Phillip Green, I guess it's not all that terrible.

Grecian2K

I hope you would similarly concede that you couldn’t give this particular government a fair hearing if your life depended on it.
What a typically ignorant and arrogant presumption! Still, about par for the course where you are concerned. :(

Were the current shower to WILLINGLY do something/anything worthy of praise I would acknowledge, if not applaud, it. Mind you, I could be in for a bit of a wait.