• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

UK and European Politics 2024 Thread

Mr Jinx

Very well known Exeweb poster
I remember listening to the Gordon Brown incident being broadcast on Jeremy Vines show only about a hour after it occurred. Brown was being interviewed by Vine when the latter played it & asked Brown for comment. It was one of those wow awkward moments.
Absolutely toe curling...then came his apology. You knew right there it was over.

Mr Jinx

Yes, it’ll be Reform.
Me too. After all, I am a paid up member.

Radio Free Skaro

Yes, it’ll be Reform.
Just wondered why you're prioritising immigration above all else?

I'm curious , would you be happy for 100,000s of people to move here so long the same amount of people were to emigrate ?

arthur

Me too. After all, I am a paid up member.
When you say member, do you have any say in how the party is run, who runs it, or what it's policies should be? Or are you simply a paying supporter?

tavyred

Just wondered why you're prioritising immigration above all else?

I'm curious , would you be happy for 100,000s of people to move here so long the same amount of people were to emigrate ?
Not quite sure what you’re asking, but in principle I’m in favour of the UK’s population being maintained at around its current level.

arthur

It seems that catching Reform on the hop, before little Nige had made up his mind what to do, and before the "party" had managed to select candidates for every seat who weren't too embarrassing, was a major factor in deciding the timing of the election. The Millionaire Property Developer Voice of The People will be standing in Boston and Skegness which, The Spectator tells me, is "the only UK constituency which still has a positive view of Brexit".

Don't miss out on your summer break in Skeggy - book now with Tavytours :)

DB9

Seriously, has Sunak wrong footed lots of Conservative Associations? More MP's saying today they wont be standing at the GE:

Several more MPs have announced today they will be standing down at the general election.

Transport minister Huw Merriman, The Conservative MP for Bexhill and Battle, in East Sussex, Work and pensions minister Jo Churchill, Tory MP for Bury St Edmunds, Deputy Commons speaker Dame Eleanor Laing, Conservative MP for Epping Forest, and fellow Conservative James Grundy, MP for Leigh in Greater Manchester.

Labour have so far have 2 MP's that have announced they're standing down:

On the Labour side, veteran Kevan Jones, MP for North Durham and a former minister, has also announced today that he is standing down at the election, as has Labour MP for the Wigan constituency of Makerfield, Yvonne Fovargue.

They join more than 100 MPs who had already announced they would not be seeking re-election.

arthur

Seriously, has Sunak wrong footed lots of Conservative Associations? More MP's saying today they wont be standing at the GE:

Several more MPs have announced today they will be standing down at the general election.

Transport minister Huw Merriman, The Conservative MP for Bexhill and Battle, in East Sussex, Work and pensions minister Jo Churchill, Tory MP for Bury St Edmunds, Deputy Commons speaker Dame Eleanor Laing, Conservative MP for Epping Forest, and fellow Conservative James Grundy, MP for Leigh in Greater Manchester.

Labour have so far have 2 MP's that have announced they're standing down:

On the Labour side, veteran Kevan Jones, MP for North Durham and a former minister, has also announced today that he is standing down at the election, as has Labour MP for the Wigan constituency of Makerfield, Yvonne Fovargue.

They join more than 100 MPs who had already announced they would not be seeking re-election.
Sunak is staggeringly politically inept. How the party is supposed to unite behind his inspiring leadership is a complete mystery be me as well as to a significant number of Conservative MPs. I fear Mrs May's 2017 campaign will seem like a model of competence compared to the upcoming excrement show

tavyred

Fellas, this is day one of the campaign.
Long way to go. 🤷‍♂️

DB9

Sunak is staggeringly politically inept. How the party is supposed to unite behind his inspiring leadership is a complete mystery be me as well as to a significant number of Conservative MPs. I fear Mrs May's 2017 campaign will seem like a model of competence compared to the upcoming excrement show
I have no idea Art but it is early days and his client media will be in full election mode so i reckon his campaign will get on some sort of track.

Taken from the BBC News website, A poll tracker, Might be useful to see whether the gaps narrow as we get closer to July 4th: