• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

TV Times

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
Ronnie Corbett and 6' 5" Peter Oosterhuis would have been an interesting pairing in the Pro-Celebrity golf! :)

Grecian2K

Very well known Exeweb poster
The Pembrokeshire Murders on ITV 9pm looks good.
Fact based drama on a couple of double murders in the 1980s.
The prime suspect had appeared on Bullseye in the 1990s.
Promised a lot but, imho fell well short, falling into the trap of soap opera rather than science.

Every cliche there:
The senior detective with family life suffering due to his dedication to the job - tick
The docile second in charge meekly following her brilliant master - tick
All "equality" boxes (race, gender, disability) in the casting - tick
And a special mention for the villain of the piece. Keith Allen displaying the full gumut of his thespian skills - i.e. growling and gurning. (With a special mention for his Welsh dialect "skills" - obviously all those years spend at the Dick Van Dyke Academy for Dodgy Accents were not wasted)

Rather disappointing (but still thankfully a little less disappointing that the execrable "Traces" which didn't merely stretch credibility - more tugged at it until it reached halfway round the globe!

Thankfully, the Thursday follow up documentary on the REAL Pembroke investigation on ITV, with interviews with some of the actual participants, was far more illuminating and interesting.

Oldsmobile-88

Promised a lot but, imho fell well short, falling into the trap of soap opera rather than science.

Every cliche there:
The senior detective with family life suffering due to his dedication to the job - tick
And a special mention for the villain of the piece. Keith Allen displaying the full gumut of his thespian skills - i.e. growling and gurning. (With a special mention for his Welsh dialect "skills" - obviously all those years spend at the Dick Van Dyke Academy for Dodgy Accents were not wasted)

Rather disappointing (but still thankfully a little less disappointing that the execrable "Traces" which didn't merely stretch credibility - more tugged at it until it reached halfway round the globe!

Thankfully, the Thursday follow up documentary on the REAL Pembroke investigation on ITV, with interviews with some of the actual participants, was far more illuminating and interesting.
I recorded the actual documentary programme & am looking forward to watching it this evening.

Valid points raised,though I thought it was a decent dramatisation of a real event.
I did remember the double shotgun murder at time & the initial Crimewatch appeal about the heinous crime.

Mr Jinx

Every cliche there:

I thought Allen was partly Welsh? Either way though, thanks for the briefing - I'll give it a steer.

Oldsmobile-88

I thought Allen was partly Welsh? Either way though, thanks for the briefing - I'll give it a steer.
It’s worth a watch imo.

Keith Allen is a legend,he turned up at the Phoenix in Exeter to watch Joe Strummer & the Mascaleros in the late 1990s.
He had a beer with everyone post show.

Mr Jinx

I recorded the actual documentary programme & am looking forward to watching it this evening.

Valid points raised,though I thought it was a decent dramatisation of a real event.
I did remember the double shotgun murder at time & the initial Crimewatch appeal about the heinous crime.
Keeping to the Serial Killer theme, I'm part way through the new one on Netflix: Night Crawler (about Richard Ramirez).

The first one I thought was a bit meh, it really goes off on pointless tangents, but hoping it picks up in the next 3 episodes.

Keith Allen is a legend,he turned up at the Phoenix in Exeter to watch Joe Strummer & the Mascaleros in the late 1990s.
He and Strummer were best buddies. Their Glastonbury campfires are the stuff of legend.

Last edited:

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Black Narcissus. A group of nuns face challenges in the hostile environment of a remote old Himalayan palace that they wish to make a convent. Adapted form a 1939 novel and shown on BBC in four parts. I'm sure there was a point to the story but I missed it completely. Wish I'd never bothered!

DB9

Black Narcissus. A group of nuns face challenges in the hostile environment of a remote old Himalayan palace that they wish to make a convent. Adapted form a 1939 novel and shown on BBC in four parts. I'm sure there was a point to the story but I missed it completely. Wish I'd never bothered!
There is the late 40's film version too with the lovely Deborah Kerr in the lead role, A classic for its time.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
There is the late 40's film version too with the lovely Deborah Kerr in the lead role, A classic for its time.
I might drop in on that sometime, might be easier to watch and comprehend.

Oldsmobile-88

Hitchcock’s excellent Strangers on the Train(1951) is about to start of TCM +1 if you fancy a bit of tea time entertainment.