• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Trust Election - Al Yates Nomination Details and Q&A Thread

AL_Yates

I would use the 360 media elements to show more of what goes on with the Trust, I would get people to do interviews with the Trust, so people know who is in the Trust. I would also get the Hustings at a time convenient for younger supporters to attend, to be all inclusive. My children wanted to come but now cant. I would increase the social activities and fund more facilities for the younger fans through the Trust. With the elections there should be more advertising prior to the elections and also on social media to encourage younger people to get involved.

-----

In answer to the question related to the RED LEGION above I did contact those people that I knew, there will be some people I dont know obviously from your comments, I am happy to be available to everyone. I will be at Scunthorpe, Plymouth and Bradford. I hope to get to the hustings should my business commitments allow me to do. But s I said I have donated to all displays because they are great!

AL_Yates

Given your past associations with commercial sponsorship,,,,, With the future of a main sponsor of the Club currently looking somewhat uncertain, what steps do you believe the Trust should/ could be taking to help present the Club as a whole in a good light to a prospective new sponsor if, or more likely when, one is required?
Firstly Alan thanks for the great question. I have through LinkedIN congratulated the FLYBE team on their planned change of brand, as I am connected to their marketing team. i think we need to make sure that the partnership is extended. But, I would hope that the Trust and club are looking at sponsors that reflect our community values to support the club, should they decide to step away. The commercial team at the club will know I thank everyone sponsor they publish on their feed on LinkedIN, over the last few years. In terms of the Trust brand I think merchandise and clothing ranges should be considered. I am aware that some discussions are already taking place, related to the kits, my brother has been part of a proposal to the Trust of some new ventures. Which I support, but will leave that team to divulge when appropriate. I would be looking at grants from the government and partnership relationships. I would also look at the share ownership question again. With regards to loans to the club I would like at options to recover the loans, to offset club corporation tax, with a view to the Trust using these monies to further generate income for the Trust, in order that we can sustain the club for the next 20 years and beyond. An being efficient from a tax perspective. Hope that helps.

If you have some ideas or the membership I would be happy to discuss them and collate them for the benefit of the Trust and club. Private message me.

Matt Phillips

Hi Al
  • Were you to be elected, which of the sub-groups would you be looking to be a part of?
  • What in your view would define success for both the Trust and the Club?
  • Should there be any change in the way in which money is passed to the Club, or any change in the level of funding to the club?
  • What material changes would you realistically like to see by the end of the three year term?
  • What would be your first priority upon being elected onto the board?

AL_Yates

Thanks for sharing a consistent great question across all the nominees – I like that!
  • Were you to be elected, which of the sub-groups would you be looking to be a part of?
My skills sets are commercial, business transformation and project management. I don’t know the sub-group namings off hand but would like to help with strategy, membership development and brand awareness.
  • What in your view would define success for both the Trust and the Club?
To continue to be sustainable and financially safe. But looking to extend the revenue generation capabilities of the Trust, while protecting the ownership governance of the club. I would like to see the Trust brand incorporated in all aspects of the football club and community. I would also like to see some community projects, which support employment and investment objectives. Possibly obtained through government grants. I have been involved in grants in local youth football where I live.
  • Should there be any change in the way in which money is passed to the Club, or any change in the level of funding to the club?
I think it needs to be reviewed, as I said above there may be scope to offset club liabilities by repaying loans. I don’t know what the Trust gives to the club at the moment, or what is in reserve. New accounts to be released soon.
  • What material changes would you realistically like to see by the end of the three year term?
I might not stand for 3 years, as I have business commitments and family commitments. My circumstances could change. That said I would like to see Trust monies invested for growth and some asset acquisitions if practical. To generate more income and take the pressure of the members base. The brand image could be raised much higher and the media side of the Trust could be extended through increased work with the club media team. I want to see more women included all aspects of the football club. I my daughter to be part of the future of the club.
  • What would be your first priority upon being elected onto the board?
Build a deeper understanding of finances and structure of the Trust, I would accelerate work to recapture lost members, that I know have left. I would start the social media Q&As with every new Trustee, meet your Trustee slot and how they became involved with our club.

Thanks for questions!

SDRighton

I still don't think you have fully answered my question there nor do you fully understand what the Legion is or how we work.

Maybe make contact with the actual people who run the group and are members next time, it's not very difficult to make contact with us.
Aren't you just a bunch of supporters who sing songs and wave flags? Am I missing some deep philosophical reason for your existence?

i8cornwall

I would use the 360 media elements to show more of what goes on with the Trust, I would get people to do interviews with the Trust, so people know who is in the Trust. I would also get the Hustings at a time convenient for younger supporters to attend, to be all inclusive. My children wanted to come but now cant. I would increase the social activities and fund more facilities for the younger fans through the Trust. With the elections there should be more advertising prior to the elections and also on social media to encourage younger people to

In answer to the question related to the RED LEGION above I did contact those people that I knew, there will be some people I dont know obviously from your comments, I am happy to be available to everyone. I will be at Scunthorpe, Plymouth and Bradford. I hope to get to the hustings should my business commitments allow me to do. But s I said I have donated to all displays because they are great!
I can fully understand you can only contact those you know or belive to be in the RL but none of the members who do the day to day running of the group have heard from you, as I am sure you'll apreciate myself and the other senior members of the group have worked hard to make the RL what it is and don't wish for others to use our name in a negative way or for you to wast your time with people who can't actaly help or speak on behalf of the group.

Please can you message me your ideas and plans on what you propose so we can take a look at them, then if or when you are elected we will be able to set up a dialogue with you. Many thanks.

i8cornwall

Aren't you just a bunch of supporters who sing songs and wave flags? Am I missing some deep philosophical reason for your existence?
This is the the thread for what is and isn't the RL nor do I wish to turn Als thread into one. I can message you about what is and isn't the group if you wish.

Matt Russell

At post 14, you say you might not stand for three years, but I thought all Trust Board members were elected for this length term of office. Is this not correct?

AL_Yates

Thanks for the question Matt. As I understand you get elected every year. I would expected to be judged on an annual basis myself should I be fortunate to be elected. I am more than happy to stand for longer, subject to family and business commitments. Hope that answers the question...

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
Thanks for the question Matt. As I understand you get elected every year. I would expected to be judged on an annual basis myself should I be fortunate to be elected. I am more than happy to stand for longer, subject to family and business commitments. Hope that answers the question...
You are elected for a three year term Al and cannot serve more than 9 years consecutively.