• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Tis, Dunne and Noble

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
I would also like to see Jake Thompson getting more minutes in games. I assume that Tis isn't happy with his defending, otherwise he would have swapped him for Tully at Argyle.
I think that when/if Ryan goes our style will change and that long term Thomson may be a key focus of our attacking options.

But he plainly isn't yet (won't ever be?) a wing back (see eg the pen conceded re Brentford?)

LammieLammieLammie

Lammie, you really should avoid these cliches favoured by the so called professionals on the TV...However, I guess its down to being a bit of a media luvvie yourself:)
:) Match fitness is also about mental sharpness, and, like you said, co-ordination. The ball Noble played to Troy for the first goal at Walsall was a shocker, and I think he wants to be doing his damage at the other end of the pitch, not holding.

It's a shame not many saw him at Oldham, becasue if you stand off him, he can certainly hurt teams . Close him down, and that's where I think his lack of games understandably gets him caught out.

Last edited:

dommers

come to think of it, other then a decent pen WTF did he do at Rovers ?
Apart from sitting in front of the back four and doing the role Harley had failed to do all match thus allowing Harley to move forward into a more attacking position behind the strikers absolutely nothing.

Grumpy Grecian

exeweb.com friend
Noble is 29 in February so hardly qualifies as a geriatric.
He has been hit and miss but having witnessed his performance at Oldham there is no doubt that he is a quality footballer.
JD is nails and should provide the perfect foil for a more attack minded Noble if (when) Ryan Harley departs.

GG

malcolms

:) Match fitness is also about mental sharpness, and, like you said, co-ordination. The ball Noble played to Troy for the first goal at Walsall was a shocker, and I think he wants to be doing his damage at the other end of the pitch, not holding.

It's a shame not many saw him at Oldham, becasue if you stand off him, he can certainly hurt teams . Close him down, and that's where I think his lack of games understandably gets him caught out.
Aren't most players more effective when they have space?

Poultice

Apart from sitting in front of the back four and doing the role Harley had failed to do all match thus allowing Harley to move forward into a more attacking position behind the strikers absolutely nothing.
Hardly surprising that you would think it a good idea to play Harley in a defensive role, that would really be to use his abilities in the most appropriate way. Nobby didn't sit at all, he slothed around as usual, failed to make covering runs including when they got their second, and added very little in any area of the ground.

LammieLammieLammie

Aren't most players more effective when they have space?
Yes, but you are missing my point I think. He's not been playing in a position he's used to, and that's I think that's been tricky for him let alone him coming back from a shocker of an injury.

All I am saying is that I don't think your point about "if he's not fit now then somethings not quite right" doesn't really tell the whole story regarding Noble and his contribution to the team.

grecianstew

As Lammie and others say, fine lines determine the outcome of football matches. To be honest there was lttle difference between the two halfs except in outcome. Liam skied one over in the first half, connected at treat in the second, they cleared any numer of balls from their box first half but presented one a plate to Goldy second, they scored with their only real chance first half but screwed up a number in the second. Thats the way football is and Dunny's presence in the second half was incidental to it.
Noble had a very good first half and played some fabulous balls, Dunne had an equally effective but very different 2nd half.

dommers

Hardly surprising that you would think it a good idea to play Harley in a defensive role.
I didn't but our manager did, at least in the first half. Perhaps you should give him a call and offer him your experts thoughts.

StroudGrecian

Hardly surprising that you would think it a good idea to play Harley in a defensive role, that would really be to use his abilities in the most appropriate way. Nobby didn't sit at all, he slothed around as usual, failed to make covering runs including when they got their second, and added very little in any area of the ground.
Second only to his penalty were the 'ears' he gave the Gas afterwards.

David Noble will be a quality player for city. FACT.

But not all fans like the 'pitty pat' of messrs Iniesta, Xavi, Russell, etc. quite as much as I do.