• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Things you dont see anymore

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
I haven't seen one of these type of things for ages , A sort of stand alone kitchen water heater/boiler. Olds must have worked on these in his time.

View attachment 5575
Yes...A Ascot RS 12/6 (or 527)Single point water heater.

As Spoonz mentioned they were capable of delivering boiling water on the setting lever.

Although they went out of production in the mid 1960s there were still quite a few about until the early 1990s

Stricter ventilation requirements & more awareness about CO poisoning spelt the end of them in domestic propertys.
You will can still see a modern version(Chaffeteux make)in mobile homes & caravans occasionally(they have oxygen depletion cut offs for CO safety)

DB9

As Spoonz mentioned they were capable of delivering boiling water on the setting lever.

Although they went out of production in the mid 1960s there were still quite a few about until the early 1990s

Stricter ventilation requirements & more awareness about CO poisoning spelt the end of them in domestic propertys.
You will can still see a modern version(Chaffeteux make)in mobile homes & caravans occasionally(they have oxygen depletion cut offs for CO safety)
I presume CO Safety is something to do with the difference between a blue flame and yellow flame or something like that?

Grecian2K

Did you know that the queen had a special version fitted in Buck House?
The model was known as the Royal Ascot.

Oldsmobile-88

I presume CO Safety is something to do with the difference between a blue flame and yellow flame or something like that?
Carbon Monoxide(CO) is created by incomplete combustion,usually a combination of factors.
Not enough air is one of them & ‘fumes’ from the burner mixing with combustion air,another(usually a blocked flue/chimney)

A yellow flame on a gas burner is usually a sign something is amiss,but the waters are muddied a bit because some gas fires are designed to burn with a yellow flame to look like a authentic wood/coal fire.

Oldsmobile-88

Did you know that the queen had a special version fitted in Buck House?
The model was known as the Royal Ascot.
Well there was a cooker model made by Parkinson Cowan called Prince 😎

Legohead

Banned
Proper art. You don't see proper art anymore. Hence this below. What a mess. Someone actually pays money for this nonsense. Incredible.

Beeple's NFT digital art nets £50m at Christie's auction - BBC News

All this Banksy rubbish and modern stuff is atrocious. Give me a classic old fashioned painting anyday. Gustav Klimt is one of my favourites.

Alistair20000

Proper art. You don't see proper art anymore. Hence this below. What a mess. Someone actually pays money for this nonsense. Incredible.

All this Banksy rubbish and modern stuff is atrocious. Give me a classic old fashioned painting anyday. Gustav Klimt is one of my favourites.
Well said.

iscalad

Well said.
Banksy ( not the Exeweb version) can paint the side of my house anytime he likes.

Alistair20000

Banksy ( not the Exeweb version) can paint the side of my house anytime he likes.
Excellent lateral thinking isca (y) Would give you enough Wonga to buy up ECFC and take us to the Champions League.

DB9

Difficult one this because art is subjective, Someone thinks it crap, Someone else thinks it's amazing.