• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The threat of Coronavirus to ECFC

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
A WHO expert was being interviewed on BBC or CNN yesterday. He said there is only one priority for any government now and that is containing and delaying the virus.
He is gobsmacked that our government and others are still allowing mass gatherings and says we have to suffer short-term pain in order to avoid long-term pain. Dealing with the virus fully is more vital than half measures to try to protect the economy. Up to you to decide, I'm just reporting on what he said.
His name was David B and he also dealt with Ebola, SARS and now Coronavirus.

tonykellowfan

The uk position is quite clear though which is closing schools and banning flights makes little difference to the spread of the virus. There really is no point in doing things out of fear if they cause massive disruption and have little positive effect.

Avening Posse

Acting now buys time for more research, medical advance, and attempts to keep numbers at hospitals and surgeries at lower levels. It may mean it is around for longer and just as many people catch it, but easier to manage over a longer period. I'm personally in favour of sporting events being cancelled or behind closed doors straight away, it's just sport after all, and that goes for other gatherings that are risky. A big spike could overrun medical facilities globally and in my view that needs to be minimised and spread over a longer period

IndoMike

The uk position is quite clear though which is closing schools and banning flights makes little difference to the spread of the virus. There really is no point in doing things out of fear if they cause massive disruption and have little positive effect.
I really don't know. Hammond thinks it's better to isolate. Most countries think it's better to isolate. It"s not about fear or being tough guys : it's about whether it's better to play safe or not.
You're right the UK position is clear, but I'm
not sure on what evidence it is based.

Avening Posse

The Australia vs New Zealand cricket matches (of which I was due to attend on Sunday) is now being played behind closed doors.

ryancooper327

Hong Kong implemented rapid school closures and Singapore has very strict quarantines.

I believe the UK position is wrong.

IndoMike

What you say is a possible scenario. Hopefully this thing will run out of gas and the number of deaths will be less than feared. One thing for sure is that it is far more widespread than SARS, for example.
Clearly governments are taking it extremely seriously.
Yes, the consequences of stopping the world are also serious, but I don't think there is any choice. Governments can't just sit back and let it happen.
At the moment we just don't know how bad it will be
Except our Government, of course

IndoMike

Everton finance director predicting football behind closed doors. Panic measure or not, I don’t think this is not going to end well....
I hate double negatives

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
You may well be right. However, the cases in China are now down to manageable levels which suggests that the outbreak can be controlled.
Yep. Think it can be. Just don't think you can have it both ways (eg... Don't overreact, it can be controlled)... It was controlled by draconian measures that inevitably have a huge economic impact.

Red Devon

I really don't know. Hammond thinks it's better to isolate. Most countries think it's better to isolate. It"s not about fear or being tough guys : it's about whether it's better to play safe or not.
You're right the UK position is clear, but I'm
not sure on what evidence it is based.
Think they said yesterday a big shutdown now would only cause a surge in a few weeks time