• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The threat of Coronavirus to ECFC

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
The EFL board are meeting this morning and will make a decision about tomorrow's games and beyond. o_O

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
Point is Indo that when your posts are factually inaccurate they lose their value.

As for Jeremy Hunt, I do not think he is a medical or science expert
Overreaction to a minor slip. Case dismissed.

tavyred

A Sun journo reporting that the EFL will suspend all matches.

Andy_H

I can't see any benefit in, for example, ECFC either postponing or playing behind closed doors, a game that will attract at most 4.5k people of whom the majority will be from the immediate Exeter area. Yes there could be 100ish from Salford, but they are ' isolated' anyway in the away area. Yet at the same time we have places like IKEA for example - other furniture retailers are available - that draw 100s if not 1000s from all over the West country to it's doors with many being snotty little kids who catch and transmit most diseases known to man! How often do IKEA disinfect the handles of display items during a typical day? And that's before you think about city centres and out of town shopping malls.
Some numpty on TV this morning said it was more important to stop '80k' people mixing at a football match than 30 children mixing in a classroom. Apart from Wembley what other stadium hold that many anyway, and even in a crowd of that size how many people do you actually come into close contact with, even at SJP possibly 40/50!

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
A Sun journo reporting that the EFL will suspend all matches.
I think postponement in the interim is better than immediately moving to playing behind closed doors.

IndoMike

Would you shut down the London Underground ?

Would you put the whole country into lockdown ? This option seems most appropriate to contain and delay the spread of this virus but has huge implications
I have agreed before a more or less total shutdown has serious consequences for the economy and people's jobs. But can a Government really decide not to take the option which most protects the lives of its people? When Corona passes things will get back to normal. And if it doesn't pass we're farked anyway
It's the Govt's decision to make, but there will be a divided opinion over whether it was the right one.

IndoMike

The Government’s logic as announced yesterday was made perfectly clear, the plan is to delay to alleviate chronic pressure on the NHS at its peak. This time next week we will no doubt be enacting all the same measures that some want us to do now. I’m guessing the Government experts think a few extra days will make a difference.
Eh? Wait until the number of people infected increases to alleviate the pressure on hospitals?

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Will we need to extend the season? L2 was finishing a week earlier because of Euro 2020. But if that is postponed next year, then that is no longer an issue. Alternatively the play off final is held at a later date at a different stadium.

haka

I suppose the games will be called off shortly, and that will be that. It would be a brave call to restart any time soon, once the decision has been taken.

Don't worry, I've convened the Pools panel to decide the remaining games, and we finish 3rd, after winning the last game at Orient. Argyle miss out.

RedPaul

Well-known Exeweb poster
Think the reality is there will be no professional football for a good while yet.
I would be genuinely surprised if there is another game before August.

It's not the crowd issue, it's the issue of players / managers / club staff contracting it.