• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The threat of Coronavirus to ECFC

irishbrian

Well-known Exeweb poster
The Irish PM said that outdoor gatherings of more than 500 people should be cancelled not must be cancelled which is slightly ambiguous. Does that mean it's up to the Irish FA?
All games have been called off. Nobody is taking a risk . It’s astonishing Cheltenham went ahead when you think of it

malcolms

Very well known Exeweb poster
The economy can recover. You can't if you're dead.
Disingenuous Mike...I'm sure you're not suggesting that this is the end of the human race? I'm not suggesting that either cannot recover, but I am suggesting that 100's of little companies will go to the wall.

LOG

All games have been called off. Nobody is taking a risk . It’s astonishing Cheltenham went ahead when you think of it
(y) I guess it would be rather foolish to go against Government advice on this.

elginCity

Astonishing is one way to describe it. Reckless is another, as Scientists contradict what’s been claimed by Government today. St Paddys Day parades cancelled in Dublin and Belfast yet thousands of your fellow countrymen freely congregate in Cheltenham instead, and then go home. Madness.

IndoMike

Disingenuous Mike...I'm sure you're not suggesting that this is the end of the human race? I'm not suggesting that either cannot recover, but I am suggesting that 100's of little companies will go to the wall.
The problem is we really don't know much at all about this virus, Malcs. And you are assuming that the public would be happy to carry on with their daily lives even in the knowledge that a very nasty virus was spreading around.
Most of us have relationships with elderly folk, or are old already. Many Brits have diabetes, heart problems, and other illnesses which can easily be attacked by the virus.. So if we go to work or to a local shop we will probably be ok, but we might get infected and pass on the virus to someone more vulnerable. We do have a responsibility to protect the people. You know, people say health is no.1.
So I don't think I'm being disingenuous.
You know all of the above, anyway
Of course you're right that the world economy is taking a bit hit and many businesses will close. The world economy was already teetering a bit as indicated by the low interest rates even before Coronavirus. Nobody is happy about that.
It's about striking the right balance, but it's up to the experts to decide what that balance is.

malcolms

The problem is we really don't know much at all about this virus, Malcs. And you are assuming that the public would be happy to carry on with their daily lives even in the knowledge that a very nasty virus was spreading around.
Most of us have relationships with elderly folk, or are old already. Many Brits have diabetes, heart problems, and other illnesses which can easily be attacked by the virus.. So if we go to work or to a local shop we will probably be ok, but we might get infected and pass on the virus to someone more vulnerable. We do have a responsibility to protect the people. You know, people say health is no.1.
So I don't think I'm being disingenuous.
You know all of the above, anyway
Of course you're right that the world economy is taking a bit hit and many businesses will close. The world economy was already teetering a bit as indicated by the low interest rates even before Coronavirus. Nobody is happy about that.
It's about striking the right balance, but it's up to the experts to decide what that balance is.
As you say it's about balance, but I'm not sure in this febrile atmosphere (figuratively and literally) balance is achievable...

DB9

As you say it's about balance, but I'm not sure in this febrile atmosphere (figuratively and literally) balance is achievable...
It would be so much better if Social Media wasn't around to spread alarm, fake news etc and the MSM needs to tone down the alarming reporting too

IndoMike

I don't feel there is a great sense of panic, hostility or febrility. I think governments are just taking precautions incrementally in line with the spread of the disease.
Regarding economies, the fact is that China has become the motor of the world's economy, so the shutting down of most of the country obviously has a huge impact on trade and the supply chain.
Yes, what is the balance? Just keep on as we were, but make sure we wash our hands regularly? Self isolation only? Shut down cities and regions as in Italy? I really don't know.
Trump of course is acting in his usual childish and petulant manner, blaming the Schengen countries for exporting the virus to the US and banning passenger airlines. A lot of airlines are going to get deeper in debt

Last edited:

IndoMike

It would be so much better if Social Media wasn't around to spread alarm, fake news etc and the MSM needs to tone down the alarming reporting too
The thing is only idiots will believe the fake news and "alarming reporting". Who cares what idiots think?

Boyo

The thing is only idiots will believe the fake news and "alarming reporting". Who cares what idiots think?
Trump is an idiot. We should probably care what he thinks.