• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The threat of Coronavirus to ECFC

Banksy

Very well known Exeweb poster
I was not about for the 1962/63 season & that bitter winter but I have read that some teams did not play for 6 weeks & the season finished in June.
Ah the big freeze. Yes , I remember the season was extended then , can’t remember by how much , at least four weeks I think. I was working in Tivvy then and travelled every day by shared car , don’t think we missed a day! I always remember a massive snowball at Silverton which took up most or the road , we even squeezed through that. And when I got to Tivvy I then had to get to Uffculme to work there for my employer.Those were the days.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
So the rumours of playing games behind closed doors seems to have come from just one newspaper article and there has been nothing further on the subject today. Is that right or have I missed something?

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
So the rumours of playing games behind closed doors seems to have come from just one newspaper article and there has been nothing further on the subject today. Is that right or have I missed something?
The Plymouth Herald are reporting that Argyle expect the game to go ahead as planned, after consulting the EFL.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
The Plymouth Herald are reporting that Argyle expect the game to go ahead as planned, after consulting the EFL.
Wouldn’t expect them to say anything else; until such time as the authorities say differently, whatever might be in the offing, the official line is always likely to be that it’s ‘business as usual’.

Looks like we’ll be okay for Saturday now, and possibly Tuesday, but reckon it’s odds against the Argyle game going ahead, at least in front of a crowd.

Andy Holloway

I remember once, while driving past Newton Abbott and passing a Parcelforce lorry, some wag had written in the dirt on the rear door; 'Slow the spread of Aids, send it Parcelforce'.

I wonder if that same wag is still working for Parcelforce and will update his message for Coronavirus.

geoffwp

Very well known Exeweb poster
A lot of airlines will go 'tits up'...Norwegian will go first probably, followed by a raft of Asian airlines, unless they get massive State aid....The balance is, as you say, difficult to gauge as we don't know the end game, but perspective is still a useful guide. 14,000 people have died in this regular flu season with 200,000 infected...Coronavirus my well turn out to be more deadly than this, but at the moment it isn't.
At the moment is is though Malc, when percentages of mortality against infection rates are compared. Seasonal flu has a mortality rate that is less than 1% and may be as low as 0.1% according to WHO. Judging from the figures the Chinese have released from Wuhan, Covid-19 is between 2-3%. On that basis I'd rather catch flu than this current virus. It's also more infectious than seasonal flu plus of course those of us at higher risk have likely had our vaccination.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Wouldn’t expect them to say anything else; until such time as the authorities say differently, whatever might be in the offing, the official line is always likely to be that it’s ‘business as usual’.

Looks like we’ll be okay for Saturday now, and possibly Tuesday, but reckon it’s odds against the Argyle game going ahead, at least in front of a crowd.
I think you're right about Saturday. It needs to be a Government decision rather than one by sports associations.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
EFL statement

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
perspective is still a useful guide. 14,000 people have died in this regular flu season with 200,000 infected...Coronavirus my well turn out to be more deadly than this, but at the moment it isn't.
This is false perspective. The corona virus has effectively not even started yet, but there is quite a lot that is predictable about its course. There's no reason to hope it will slow down or stop unless it's run out of hosts or policies are put in place to stop it spreading. Doesn't really seem like a credible option is there other than to take serious action.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Statement from the Club on Twitter

The @EFL has confirmed that matches will continue to take place as normal while the guidance from the relevant authorities remains that there is no medical rationale to close or cancel sporting events