• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The Serious Torquay Thread

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
I must confess that I feel little hate for Torquay and think the two matches against them would create a lot of interest. Hating Torquay is a bit like wanting to kick sand in the geek's face at the beach.
I say "arise from the ashes Torquay and give us some fun in Div 2."

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
Sutton are 1 up.

Pobbop

I don't hate them, but some of their fans deserve continued misery, and the "derby" always feels a bit of an anti-climax, conference season excepted obviously.

Moomin Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
I want Torquay to come back up purely so we can have as many local games, with bigger crowds, as possible. I’ve never hated them, they’re just like that little brother that’s just there and a bit annoying at times.

So if I had a choice between Torquay coming up or a Hartlepool or a Stockport etc, I’d pick the Gulls every time just to have that bigger game to look forward to.

I don't hate them, but some of their fans deserve continued misery, and the "derby" always feels a bit of an anti-climax, conference season excepted obviously.
I'm happy to endure a bit of anticlimactic feeling if it means I can get home before 6pm after an away fixture.

Pobbop

I'm happy to endure a bit of anticlimactic feeling if it means I can get home before 6pm after an away fixture.
Fair enough, TBH, I always have a bit of a zen attitude to these things really, if they go up, I'll take the Derby and ease to get there, if they stay down I'll happily take the schadenfreude. In the end, my wishes of what happens in football Matches matters little, or Exeter would be in the Champions League final next Saturday, and England would have won their umpteenth World Cup Euros, may have allowed Ireland to win one too, for my ancestors.

DB9

Sutton 3-0 up So the Play-Offs for Torquay, Well done to Sutton though.

Nigel E

Yep Sutton promoted - quite pleased for them really.

The winners of the play-offs will be at a big disadvantage, given that the final is not until 20th June. That'll be just under 7 weeks to give players a holiday and then get them back for pre-season and sort out a competitive team for League 2.

Banksy

Wonder what Sutton’s gate is in ‘normal’ times?

Nigel E

Wonder what Sutton’s gate is in ‘normal’ times?
2018-19 they had an average of about 1,900. Given their location, they might pull in a few more floating fans in the League - and of course there'll be more away fans (all being well) than in the National League.