• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The Politics Thread USA Edition

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
New York City is the first place in the USA to end qualified immunity for Police Officers.

Qualified immunity prevented individual officers from being sued.
More jam for lawyers,less protection for the general public will result in that city.
Police enforcement tactics are subjective.Why should any NYC cop now be too forceful in upholding the law ?

Expect other Police Forces in the USA to no doubt do the same to curry favour with local politicians if it fits a certain agenda.

Mr Jinx

New York City is the first place in the USA to end qualified immunity for Police Officers.

Qualified immunity prevented individual officers from being sued.
More jam for lawyers,less protection for the general public will result in that city.
Police enforcement tactics are subjective.Why should any NYC cop now be too forceful in upholding the law ?

Expect other Police Forces in the USA to no doubt do the same to curry favour with local politicians if it fits a certain agenda.
Interesting times in the US. As a civilian, I'd be a bit scared tbh. Zero tolerance policing in NYC has served it well over the past 3 decades.

Then you have the current border farce. Which Biden says it's because he's nice before blaming it on Trump...then he palms it off to Harris to sort out (like she's going to enforce anything down there).

The unravelling of the US begins in earnest.

Oldsmobile-88

Interesting times in the US. As a civilian, I'd be a bit scared tbh. Zero tolerance policing in NYC has served it well over the past 3 decades.
Indeed..NYC was not a very safe place even around downtown Manhattan until the early 1990s.
I have visited a few times over the past 30 years & felt as safe as a visitor as anywhere.

Police Chiefs & politicians had better tread carefully.
Santa Monica had a fairly liberal policing attitude compared to the LAPD area that surrounds it.
During the disorder that swept the US following the Floyd case,they stood back whilst the jewel in the city’s shopping area 3rd St Promenade was looted(thankfully the Britannia English bar survived😎)eventually arresting ‘protesters’ / criminals after a public outcry,only to not charge anyone.
The residents of the city were rightly not impressed.The Police Chief was looking for a new job soon afterwards.

DB9

Fox News now being sued by Dominion:

Oldsmobile-88

It looks like Donald Trumps Wall along the US-Mexico border is about to be restarted.

A huge about turn for the Biden Administration.

Inevitable that there was going to be a issue there when President Biden sent the message on his first day to halt construction.

DB9

It looks like Donald Trumps Wall along the US-Mexico border is about to be restarted.

A huge about turn for the Biden Administration.

Inevitable that there was going to be a issue there when President Biden sent the message on his first day to halt construction.
Unfortunatly this part of Biden's Presidency is not going well, Record numbers coming to the border and now the cages that held children in Trump's term are still being used and used more, Biden in his election campaign called for them to go and called them "Cages" but now they are called something like "Migrant Holding Facilities" and the word "Cages" is not allowed to be used. I think Biden is finding out that being in office and doing things is much harder than not being in office and demanding things are done.

IndoMike

Unfortunatly this part of Biden's Presidency is not going well, Record numbers coming to the border and now the cages that held children in Trump's term are still being used and used more, Biden in his election campaign called for them to go and called them "Cages" but now they are called something like "Migrant Holding Facilities" and the word "Cages" is not allowed to be used. I think Biden is finding out that being in office and doing things is much harder than not being in office and demanding things are done.
I think Biden has done a lot in a short period of time. He's only been Prezzy for 3 months, DB. Look how much he has done to fix the Covid problem, for example.
He needs time to fix all the problems he inherited from Trump.
Lets see how his immigration policy turns out. : if he ends up mirroring Trump's awful treatment of immigrants and the stupid wall I will join in the criticism of him.
What the NYP says is not necessarily gospel.

DB9

I think Biden has done a lot in a short period of time. He's only been Prezzy for 3 months, DB. Look how much he has done to fix the Covid problem, for example.
He needs time to fix all the problems he inherited from Trump.
Lets see how his immigration policy turns out. : if he ends up mirroring Trump's awful treatment of immigrants and the stupid wall I will join in the criticism of him.
What the NYP says is not necessarily gospel.
This is not just on this news outlet it has been shown on all the major networks, Since he's become President more people have made their way to the border, Basically misintepreting what he said during the election campaign and you and i know the one thing that those opposed to Biden and the Democrats are pictures of unfettered illegal immigration, They will use this as a yardstick to beat him with but interviews with those patrolling the border is quite uncomfortable listening for Biden, He does need to get a grasp on it and as for Trump's treatment of (Illegal) migrants, The people of the US couldn't give a stuff about it, Especially when this virus has cost jobs, homes etc, We all know the poorest suffer the most.

IndoMike

This is not just on this news outlet it has been shown on all the major networks, Since he's become President more people have made their way to the border, Basically misintepreting what he said during the election campaign and you and i know the one thing that those opposed to Biden and the Democrats are pictures of unfettered illegal immigration, They will use this as a yardstick to beat him with but interviews with those patrolling the border is quite uncomfortable listening for Biden, He does need to get a grasp on it and as for Trump's treatment of (Illegal) migrants, The people of the US couldn't give a stuff about it, Especially when this virus has cost jobs, homes etc, We all know the poorest suffer the most.
Yes. Fair enough. But I think we can't expect him to fix everything in 3 months.
I'd prefer to wait and see what the situation is in 6 months' time. Too soon to judge

DB9

Yes. Fair enough. But I think we can't expect him to fix everything in 3 months.
I'd prefer to wait and see what the situation is in 6 months' time. Too soon to judge
True but he needs i think to go there and show his face to see things for himself.