• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The Politics Thread USA Edition

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
I see the Dems squeaked home in NJ.

Interesting to see the Guardian herald it as a new dawn - "Murphy is New Jersey’s first to win re-election in 44 years!"

...when in fact it was an unmitigated disaster given the closeness. A week ago it was being seen as the slam dunk of slam dunks. Turned out to be the Newcastle of EU Referendums.

No doubt the Dems will go on to lose the mid-terms, not that that would be unusual - most do. Can they recover enough though for 2024?
Biden rejects blame for losing Virginia, I wonder if this will come back to haunt him, They have rising costs in fuel, inflation and their own supply chain, If things don't improve he'll get booted out in 2024.

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
Biden rejects blame for losing Virginia, I wonder if this will come back to haunt him, They have rising costs in fuel, inflation and their own supply chain, If things don't improve he'll get booted out in 2024.
If I remember correctly exit polling suggested around 28% in Virginia said that protesting Biden was a factor in voting. Not an insignificant amount, but not massive either.

The US press likes to use these elections as a barometer for the presidential, but some research actually shows that if anything winning the governorship in tightly contested states actually lowers the following presidential candidate's vote in said state.

DB9

If I remember correctly exit polling suggested around 28% in Virginia said that protesting Biden was a factor in voting. Not an insignificant amount, but not massive either.

The US press likes to use these elections as a barometer for the presidential, but some research actually shows that if anything winning the governorship in tightly contested states actually lowers the following presidential candidate's vote in said state.
With respect Hermann, I think that US politics are more divided than ever, There's a big surge on the right, A huge mistrust of the media, More getting their news from outlet nutters like Newsmax, Who make Fox News look like a Liberal station and of course you have Biden himself, A near 80 Yr old who if you hear some of his speeches sounds like he's a doddery old man who's not quite at the races and that is hitting home with voters, As I said about the Republicans, Both parties need people much younger to lead them post 2024.

Alistair20000

Sleepy probably thinks Virginia is a lady whose vote he lost.

Falling asleep in public the other day shows how washed up this poor fellow is. Should never have been nominated to run for President.

Mr Jinx

Falling asleep in public the other day shows how washed up this poor fellow is. Should never have been nominated to run for President.
Oh I don't know...I'm not his biggest fan, but who could blame him...looked like a real wokey snooze fest...a real waste of time to boot.

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
Sleepy probably thinks Virginia is a lady whose vote he lost.

He wasn't the only one to fall asleep.

Mr Jinx

And he goes even further up in my estimation after breaking wind in front of Camilla last week.

And by all accounts this wasn't just a tiny squeak...this was a full on ripper. Respect!!

tavyred

First rule of comedy Spike, farts are always funny! 🤣

Reactions: DB9

Alistair20000

I thought he had given a pledge to cut emissions

DB9

First rule of comedy Spike, farts are always funny! 🤣
Agree but mainly its only blokes that find it funny, Watched Blazing Saddles once with the good lady, The bean scene around the campfire, I'm rolling around the floor in stitches, My good lady, Not a bloody chuckle!