• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The Politics Thread USA Edition

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
New Jersey on a knife edge too..Less than 100 votes between the Democrat & Republican candidates.

tavyred

Even most Democrats don’t see Biden as a suitable candidate next time round and if he loses Congress next year then he runs the risk of his presidency being seen as a busted flush and merely marking time until the next election.
I concur with DB if the republicans can select a younger candidate with minimal Trump baggage then they could be a shoe-in in 2024, especially if the marmite VP is the Dems candidate.

Mr Jinx

New Jersey on a knife edge too..Less than 100 votes between the Democrat & Republican candidates.
There's still time for the early morning ballot dump.

Dems will win both.

Mr Jinx

There's still time for the early morning ballot dump.

Dems will win both.
I stand corrected. They lost Virginia. The Dems were too far behind for any extra ballot ingress to make any difference.

All eyes on NJ. Squeaky bum time for the Dems. They wouldn't lose that surely?!

angelic upstart

The Dems were too far behind for any extra ballot ingress to make any difference.
What does this mean?

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
What does this mean?
The Republican lead was greater than the number of votes left to count.

Mr Jinx

The Republican lead was greater than the number of votes left to count.
Not exactly. The Republican lead was too great for the Dems to stop the count at 3am before discovering many mysterious undiscovered ballots. You know the drill.

Spoonz Red E

Not exactly. The Republican lead was too great for the Dems to stop the count at 3am before discovering many mysterious undiscovered ballots. You know the drill.
You are the Pete USA of the politics thread and I demand my 5 dollars.

angelic upstart

You believe that? Really?

Mr Jinx

I see the Dems squeaked home in NJ.

Interesting to see the Guardian herald it as a new dawn - "Murphy is New Jersey’s first to win re-election in 44 years!"

...when in fact it was an unmitigated disaster given the closeness. A week ago it was being seen as the slam dunk of slam dunks. Turned out to be the Newcastle of EU Referendums.

No doubt the Dems will go on to lose the mid-terms, not that that would be unusual - most do. Can they recover enough though for 2024?