• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The Pitch

Andy_H

Although one or two City players have been compared with cart-horses or donkeys I am still struggling to see any relationship between a pitch and horse - hair. Is cruelty to animals involved?
No Mike it's artificial horse hair or in other words it's a man made substance that allows for better drainage.

Andy_H

There'll also be a disclaimer in every programme next season saying;

"No horse's or hares were harmed in the making of this pitch."

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
No Mike it's artificial horse hair or in other words it's a man made substance that allows for better drainage.
So the difference is artificial horse allows for better drainage than grass. I really don't understand how that can be, but I admit I haven't a clue. I would have thought that drainage was a sub-surface issue. You mean the horse hair is layered below the surface to absorb water but grass still grows on the surface?

Red Devon

You mean for years people were talking about drainage problems and now suddenly there is no problem with the drainage? Weird
The “bad” bit of the pitch has been the top inch or so, drainage is fine Chaz was saying.

ExmouthMart

Is it something to do with compaction?! Continually rolling the surface has stopped the natural drainage and the water just pools on the surface. Now getting the mix right with the sand/ horsehair will allow the pitch to be much better for much longer with the correct maintenance. I wonder what will happen if we get promoted and everyone runs onto the pitch?! Grounds keeper Chaz will be getting the machine gun out!

fred binneys head

I’m more worried about the fact that Chas had a go at the contractors because they were messing up his piles. Always knew the drainage was a pain in the arse.

Colesman Ballz

So the difference is artificial horse allows for better drainage than grass. I really don't understand how that can be, but I admit I haven't a clue. I would have thought that drainage was a sub-surface issue. You mean the horse hair is layered below the surface to absorb water but grass still grows on the surface?
Watch post #595 Indo, where Chas explains exactly what is going on.

So the difference is artificial horse allows for better drainage than grass. I really don't understand how that can be, but I admit I haven't a clue. I would have thought that drainage was a sub-surface issue. You mean the horse hair is layered below the surface to absorb water but grass

denzel

Artificial horse hair? Are we laying a 3GG pitch?

IndoMike

Watch post #595 Indo, where Chas explains exactly what is going on.
Just seen the video.
It sounds good. I hope this is a comprehensive fix : we need to get this ongoing issue of the poor pitch off our shoulders.