• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The Pitch

cityregular

Can anyone explain why our pitch is so c--p after it was dug up 2 seasons in a row ,and a vast amount of money spent on getting what Tisdale wanted? Also we were told the money came from the playing budget.

PeteUSA

Very well known Exeweb poster
I'll go!

Because we were sold a duff pitch? Even given the inclement weather, and the building work going on, the pitch should never be in that condition. Tisdale was moaning about it long before any of the above kicked in.

I guess 'you get what you pay for' is an apt summary?

Antony Moxey

I'll go!

Because we were sold a duff pitch? Even given the inclement weather, and the building work going on, the pitch should never be in that condition. Tisdale was moaning about it long before any of the above kicked in.

I guess 'you get what you pay for' is an apt summary?
Then that doesn't mean we were sold a duff one, just we couldn't afford an expensive one when an expensive one was what we needed. Given that though, and the money we're going to get from Ampadu, would it be worth setting aside half a mil (or whatever it costs within reason - apparently the Chiefs' pitch cost over a million) to get it done properly once and for all?

dontpassback

I don’t know what happened,but there appeared to be some discrepancy when the pitch was laid,if I recall remedial works were carried out,who paid,ive no idea but I think the trust board were informed and This was deemed to be confidential,and whatever was done hasn’t lasted to well it seems.

AndrewP

I'm most definitely no grass expert (in any way shape or form), but I am a little perpelxed also. I think though, that work was about construction and drainage channels - which we never had before...

I know we were unable to undertake the usual close season maintenance - redevelopment and the season lasting a little longer. This is where they seemingly cut off all the grass down to the sand, add more sand and relay new seed. I have never understood this - surely a "lawn" allowed to grow with water, food, sunlight etc. going to be stronger that newly grown seed?. Although, I did hear somewhere that actually it only removes the weaker grass, the stronger roots remain and regrow enhanced with new seed.

We have had a very wet autumn and winter so far, wetter than last season certainly. Also, with 2 sides of the ground boarded - I suspect some of the usual elements may not be reaching the playing surface.

Like I say no, I am no expert - Clive and his team I reckon are so would be good to understand. In the meantime, there was a youtube or devonlive clip I saw somewhere where Clive Pring explained the drainage system.......

Last edited:

dontpassback

Then that doesn't mean we were sold a duff one, just we couldn't afford an expensive one when an expensive one was what we needed. Given that though, and the money we're going to get from Ampadu, would it be worth setting aside half a mil (or whatever it costs within reason - apparently the Chiefs' pitch cost over a million) to get it done properly once and for all?
Yep I agree,money spent on a decent surface would be a good investment.

Boyo

This is worth a read. https://www.pitchcare.com/news-media/exeter-city-fc-stadium-pitch-gets-a-speedcut-rebuild.html

The cost was a few hundred grand if I recall.

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
Our pitch is supposedly poor yet our home record is the only thing keeping us out of a relegation scrap, funny old world.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
This interview with Clive was filmed in the aftermath of the FGR abandonment, but goes on to look at the pitch, and the issues with it, in a bit more detail: https://www.facebook.com/ExeterCityEcho/videos/vb.1741630266057799/1982526998634790/?type=2&theater

Colesman Ballz

Our pitch is supposedly poor yet our home record is the only thing keeping us out of a relegation scrap, funny old world.
Yep ironic isn't. Add to that winning 4-1 away to Newport on the worst pitch in the country, yet losing this season on their super duper brand new one ! (facepalm)