• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The Garden Thread

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Unlikely here, hose pipe for me (and has been for quite some time).
Waiting for a new hosepipe to turn up. Left it out over winter and now has do many holes that I get more drenched than the garden 🌊🌊

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
Roses have suddenly come under attack from greenfly....gone over them with some bug killer this morning.
You can buy ladybird larvae from eBay, I had some last year and they went for the aphids in a big way so I've ordered some more and should be here any day.

Antony Moxey

Very well known Exeweb poster
Waiting for a new hosepipe to turn up. Left it out over winter and now has do many holes that I get more drenched than the garden 🌊🌊
Why has it got holes in it? Mine‘s been attached to the wall outside for about ten years now and is still as good as new.

My hosepipe has two holes in it, one at each end.

Spoonz Red E

My hosepipe has two holes in it, one at each end.
It's the same hole you polo mint double licker you.

Oldsmobile-88

My partners garden oasis in the city(St David’s)
A66C5E4F-C76E-475D-84BD-93D2B2BA0446.jpeg

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
Egg shells work for me. Perhaps your spreading them out too thinly and they’re getting in around them?
I put a good solid amount of crushed eggshells with a few blue pellets mixed in, and a measure of salt, around my newly planted out runner beans. This morning I noticed a snail heading in the direction of one of the young plants and watched as it glided over the eggshells and, with two or three slug pellets stuck to it's sides went straight on to the stalk. It would have tucked in if I hadn't intervened and winged the tw@ over the hedge into next door's.

Eggshells ? I'd call it a partial success.

Alistair20000

I put a good solid amount of crushed eggshells with a few blue pellets mixed in, and a measure of salt, around my newly planted out runner beans. This morning I noticed a snail heading in the direction of one of the young plants and watched as it glided over the eggshells and, with two or three slug pellets stuck to it's sides went straight on to the stalk. It would have tucked in if I hadn't intervened and winged the tw@ over the hedge into next door's.

Eggshells ? I'd call it a partial success.
I thought a sprinkling of salt on a slug worked well. Not suggesting you eat them mind.

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
It works on the one you've sprinkled but you can't sit up all night in ambush.

Antony Moxey

Trouble is slugs are cannibalistic so if you salt one and don’t dispose of it there‘ll be dozens of them feasting on it in no time.