• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The big bank

wemissmoxey

Very well known Exeweb poster
Tempted to do a display to try and build up the atmosphere a bit better or **** of the argyle a bit more to make the atmosphere more fierce.
Nothing sexual I hope.

CityTillIDie

Tempted to do a display to try and build up the atmosphere a bit better or **** of the argyle a bit more to make the atmosphere more fierce.
It would be appreciated buddy, and get the oldies signing as well :)

CityTillIDie

Something like 'ecfc the pride of devon' or 'devons red and white' or 'grecian devon'!? I dunno the usual phrases to get em annoyed ;)

Grecian O'Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Something like 'ecfc the pride of devon' or 'devons red and white' or 'grecian devon'!? I dunno the usual phrases to get em annoyed ;)
I'm not sure any of the greenies would be 'annoyed' by that to be honest mate.

CityTillIDie

I'm not sure any of the greenies would be 'annoyed' by that to be honest mate.
hmm true, would get the atmosphere goin though. Maybe some loo roll (rofl)

HarryECFC

hmm true, would get the atmosphere goin though. Maybe some loo roll (rofl)
Aahah was funny last year. Yeah Something like "Devon is Red" or something...

Drew up this:

Utter Terry

I always liked ;

DEVON'S CAPITAL CLUB

And

EXETER HEART OF DEVON

And

FEED THE JANNERS

Let them know its Christmas time (clap)

Last edited:

CityTillIDie

Aahah was funny last year. Yeah Something like "Devon is Red" or something...

Drew up this:
What a cracker mate! Definite backing from me! (y)

Chui

It would be interesting to know which League 2 grounds have the noisiest/wittiest home fans and try to identify the factors that bring this about.
Based on the away games I went to last season and the one I've been to this:

Oxford - from what I remember we outsung them for the first hour when we were 3 up, then they got noisier when they pulled it back to 3-2 and we got quieter, then the pendulum swung again when we made it 4-2. Singing cheerio at Oxford fans as they stomped out into the car park flicking V signs at us was rather amusing.

Cheltenham - can't remember them making much noise, even though they won 3-0.

Bradford - a total library from them in the first half, then the loudest home fans I heard all season in the second when they were attacking their Kop. The fact that Tully escaped giving away a blatant penalty only increased the volume.

Torquay - fairly quiet apart from their teenagers and our teenagers standing nearby and taunting each other about their acne. Not exactly a representative game though.

Burton - fairly quiet even though they had terracing on 2 sides and went 4 up before we pulled 2 back.

Bristol Rovers - quiet till they scored after Artur dropped a clanger, then pretty noisy. Got on Artur's back all second half. Living in Bristol I've noticed both Bristol clubs' fans tend to get on their teams' back very quickly when things aren't going well as they perceive it their natural right to beat teams 'below their natural level' irrespective of the quality of their team.

Fleetwood - can't remember them making much noise, but then they're not exactly numerous and their form had started to slip when they played us.

Arg*le - let's brush over this one. Suffice it to say I suspect they suffer from big city syndrome and don't take kindly when going behind at home to Rochdale or Scunny.

Wimbledon - they were pretty noisy, though that's possibly because we shared a side terrace with a low roof, which was good for banter and acoustics.

Chesterfield - fairly vocal, but when you're winning 4-0 and Jack Lester's retiring you'd expect that.

Northampton - some fans near us made a fair bit of noise, but we were pretty poor volume-wise for most of the game.

Also been to Wycombe and Hartlepool in the past and neither struck me as particularly loud.

Conclusions? What makes a good home atmosphere is:

Putting the away fans near the hardcore home fans - when Sheffield United fans were in a corner of the Bank the atmosphere was top-notch. Can't see this happening though.

Winning and playing well - this definitely seems to help, strangely enough.

Siege atmosphere - sadly this doesn't happen naturally. Generally you either need to be playing a team you hate, a bigger team who look down on you, or at least one hated opposition player who gets away with murder. Alternately a ref who seems totally biased towards the other side. Bringing out the crowd's hatred to focus on non-City individuals seems to improve the atmosphere no end.

HarryECFC

Well put, Aldershot always have a good atmosphere as there stand is perfect for making noise and the fans are next to each other.