• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The big bank

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
I am aware of this JW, it was a preferred situation for myself. We have to get used to the fact that a football experience at SJP these days is one of the most boring ways to spend an afternoon.
Perhaps the best solution would be Adrian's turn-the-ground-through-90-degrees one. Then the away fans could be on one corner and home fans nearby. But that would presumably mean an all-seated ground.

And I can think of LOTS more boring ways of spending an afternoon than at SJP.

Grecian_Jay

Very well known Exeweb poster
Perhaps the best solution would be Adrian's turn-the-ground-through-90-degrees one. Then the away fans could be on one corner and home fans nearby. But that would presumably mean an all-seated ground.

No you can't, even shopping is more fun!

arthur

It would be interesting to know which League 2 grounds have the noisiest/wittiest home fans and try to identify the factors that bring this about. My suspicion, from the handful of grounds I've visited in recent years, is that most home fans are pretty quiet until/unless something exciting happens on the pitch. For those of us who grew up watching football in the sixties and seventies where there was much more of an edge (i.e. much more violence on and off the pitch) this does make the whole event much less of a grand spectacle and it can seem rather dull. Maybe we should just accept the fact that times have changed, but I'm reluctant to do that...

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
Tisdale's style of play does nothing to bring on a good atmosphere, flat, boring tactics from the off which isn't conducive to a good atmosphere.
QUOTE]

For the most part of the 1990's we struggled nearly every year at the wrong end of the table and played some of our worst football I have seen since following in the late 80's. The cowshed however still rocked. It was genuinely intimidating.

Somewhere the continuity dissapeared as its not just a lack of noise these days its also a lack of range of chants. On a good day the BB will sing 4 different chants at best.

But do they cost £17 and require you to stand around watching sometimes very dull football? Going to watch City should be in my opinion entertaining at least. I used to even enjoy it when we got stuffed in the Ball etc days as you have a bit of banter, passion and enjoy a great atmosphere.

These days that has all disappeared and will not come back overnight. I find it more entertaining listening to City on the radio not to mention the £. I'd rather spend £25 and have the Shed back and get the old classics going again. Poor old Martyn Dean up that ladder!

Grecian_Jay

Tisdale's style of play does nothing to bring on a good atmosphere, flat, boring tactics from the off which isn't conducive to a good atmosphere.
QUOTE]

For the most part of the 1990's we struggled nearly every year at the wrong end of the table and played some of our worst football I have seen since following in the late 80's. The cowshed however still rocked. It was genuinely intimidating.

Somewhere the continuity dissapeared as its not just a lack of noise these days its also a lack of range of chants. On a good day the BB will sing 4 different chants at best.
Did it though? Take out any big cup ties and night games and derby games and was it really 'rocking'? I think sometimes people look back nostalgically on The Cowshed and actually exaggerate what it was like on a cold November day home to Halifax for example.

GrecianWonder

Atmosphere is down to the fans. Man United= quiet. Stoke when they came up under Pulis= Loudest in the Prem

Grecian_Jay

Atmosphere is down to the fans. Man United= quiet. Stoke when they came up under Pulis= Loudest in the Prem
What is your point? Stoke were playing attacking direct, in-your-face tactics against some of the best teams in world football with 25-30k fans roaring them on as underdogs.

We pass the ball around for 5 mins at the back and hoof it up to Curo and then go a goal down against Morecambe. Hardly the same is it GW. Og yeah I forgot you are one of the ones who think direct football isn't good to watch. Clueless.

CityTillIDie

Im assuming this isn't the main problem but would some people not knowing the words to the songs/chants contribute to the lack of noise?? Is there a songs/chants thread on here? And it is going to be an embarrassment (again) on the derby if we dont sort something out!

HarryECFC

Tempted to do a display to try and build up the atmosphere a bit better or **** of the argyle a bit more to make the atmosphere more fierce.