• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Summer Transfer Thread

Red Monster

Everywhere looks nice when the sun shines…… More pertinent questions on their minds would be how much are you paying and can I have a ‘McArdle’ clause in my contract. Also whatever else make sure you get a guarantee that they can train on any surface in any weather and if it doesn’t work out make sure there isn’t some unexplained reason why they can join the coaching staff even though you are the Manager it’s nothing to do with you. Note to KMT, check your lessons learned file and don’t make the same costly mistake again.
Why would Matt need and lessons from you.

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
The gentleman (I assume) does seem to have a huge chip on his shoulder about something, keeps regurgitating the same old tripe in a different guise.

ExmouthMart

Maybe the heat is having an effect on his utterly pointless anti-City rants, as they make even less sense than normal.
Pointless anti-City rant?! Is there any actual proof that a nice day out in Devon makes players more willing to sign?! So what would you write off another Ajose type signing as again?! and why is not unreasonable to joke about a player who Taylor was let down badly by but still for some unknown reason is coaching now at a club where he contributed nothing, ever, and for the Manager to say it’s nothing to do with him what he’s doing!
Why not have a go at the people slagging off Zanzala as only being suitable as 3rd or 4th choice or too agricultural for League One?! Let’s see how Sweeney gets on against better quality. We don’t have a pot to p*ss in regarding signing players unless we sell, so why rubbish a player who wanted to come from Cumbria to play for us?! If he signs for us he’s obviously not Van Basten but would be a useful addition to add to Nombe.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Maybe the heat is having an effect on his utterly pointless anti-City rants, as they make even less sense than normal.
Given the lack of anything of substance to talk about, I'm surprised there haven't been more. Will we get to 600 posts before Matt returns from holiday and gets round to signing a player or two.

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
We don’t have a pot to p*ss in regarding signing players unless we sell, so why rubbish a player who wanted to come from Cumbria to play for us?! If he signs for us he’s obviously not Van Basten but would be a useful addition to add to Nombe.
So let me get it we move on up the pyramid and our signing expectations move down compared to last year. By not renewing some contracts, freeing up some wages, and getting more money in from playing in a higher league, backs up these thoughts because let's see all that cash will be used for..... the Cliff Hill renovation? So we will have to sell a player or two to add to our squad, as well as more money for the Cliff Hill no doubt.

ExmouthMart

So let me get it we move on up the pyramid and our signing expectations move down compared to last year. By not renewing some contracts, freeing up some wages, and getting more money in from playing in a higher league, backs up these thoughts because let's see all that cash will be used for..... the Cliff Hill renovation? So we will have to sell a player or two to add to our squad, as well as more money for the Cliff Hill no doubt.
I think the Cliff Hill project was signed off well before promotion. The money is there and any shortfall is being covered by The Trust. The playing budget will be supplemented by sales which will enable us to offer better contracts to potential better quality signings. Isn’t that why academy players are fast tracked into the First Team?! We generate income through player sales. We sell players or receive add ons we sign players of the caliber of Nombe or Brown. We don’t we sign journeymen like Grounds.

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
Good you've moved on from the Cliff Hill financing,

Generally we need a mix of Academy players, signings with potential and seasoned pros (journeyman) like Grounds to help us compete. What we don't need are the likes of Daniel. Ajose was an unfortunate, potentially a good signing but ended up not, despite his lack of playing time for us he still has a lot to offer in experience and could be an asset to the academy, personally I'd rather sign Amond for this role, but there you are we move on.

This year has shown us that not every batch of graduates are going to make it, with only Alfie Pond being taken on, and therefore not always the big money cheque around the corner, but we do have some add ons out there yet to be seen or capitalised with most expectations coming from Ethan, Jay Stansfield and Ben Chrisene, but these could all come to nothing should their contracts with their current clubs not be renewed although the signs are promising on all three. There could also be add ons for Joel but with Peterborough in same division and lack of appearances last year I would say unlikely to be great.

And you are right we do generate income through player sales hence the academy, and signing players with potential, but when offers come in for them we currently don't have to accept them as in the past, we can consider them, part of this consideration will involve where the player is within the club, how long left of their contract i.e. last season Joel was on his way regardless, so we negotiated a deal the best we could with consideration to his contract and like Ben and Jay considering what we would likely get in a tribunal. We also take into account the players position i.e. McArdle, if they haven't settled. So yes we are a selling club but not at any costs. Part of being a selling club and a good one at that can be an attraction for players looking to use us as a stepping stone to greater things as Nombe is doing, plus Chiek obviously recognised the potential when released by Stevenage.

We also do bring in income from the gates (including season ticket sales - record number this year), money from the EFL, hospitality, and our current Achilles heel merchandising. however we have a new commercial director in place so we can only be hopeful that this will improve.

There are a number of clubs on lower budgets and income than us and surviving in Division3 some of them supplemented by their owners others selling like us, financially we have got to be in the bottom third of the division but as a team/club the top third. We shall sign good players without breaking our budget and if last season is anything to go by they will be quality!

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
One would assume that we could actually see some real action on this thread next week when hopefully Chas is back and he can assess how they respect his pitch - goal celebrations etc!

(cheap way to try and encroach on the 600 no news posts)

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
Dom Telford is leaving Newport

jimbo-gould

Dom Telford is leaving Newport
My guess is a top half league 1 club or wrexham.