• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Summer Transfer Thread

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
Snoops not seen this said anywhere have you got a linky?
No linky, I'm just in the know on this particular one without being intheknow

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
When looking at the budget we should have if I got this Correct £230k more in TV money plus increased average gates prob upwards of 1000 per home game day at an average of £20 would be upwards of another £400k over the season so we must have a stronger budget this year….
..provided all other figures remain exactly the same..or all the other changes balance each other out.

IndoMike

You don't really ask for more you just accept or decline an offer. We can put whatever price tag we want on any of our players under contract regardless of what division we're in. We will have a price for all our players. Josh Key is 1.4m. We were offered circa 1m previously and declined. If Sunderland, or another club, come back and offer 1.4m we'll sell.

Plus add-ons?

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
Plus add-ons?
Always

Colesman Ballz

You don't really ask for more you just accept or decline an offer. We can put whatever price tag we want on any of our players under contract regardless of what division we're in. We will have a price for all our players. Josh Key is 1.4m. We were offered circa 1m previously and declined. If Sunderland, or another club, come back and offer 1.4m we'll sell.
You are in proverbial "cloud cuckoo land" if you think we will be offered £1.4m for Key this summer. Sunderland's offer had a big "extras" content and was nothing like £1m upfront. It was made when he had two years remaining on his City contract. Their is now just one year left before he can move for just a tribunal decided compensation figure, so his value has decreased despite his extra season of experience. Yes, we can decide whether we want to accept or not, any offers which may occur, but the Club will no doubt be pragmatic when making any decision.

IndoMike

You are in proverbial "cloud cuckoo land" if you think we will be offered £1.4m for Key this summer. Sunderland's offer had a big "extras" content and was nothing like £1m upfront. It was made when he had two years remaining on his City contract. Their is now just one year left before he can move for just a tribunal decided compensation figure, so his value has decreased despite his extra season of experience. Yes, we can decide whether we want to accept or not, any offers which may occur, but the Club will no doubt be pragmatic when making any decision.
You could be right. However,
1. The fee for a League 1 player moving to a Ch'ship team is probably greater than that of a League 2 player moving to League 1 club.
2. With presumably a higher budget next season, if they really want their man they might be persuaded to fork out a few hundred thousand more.
3. It would depend on whether there was a bidding war.
4. Sunderland don't know if he'll sign a new contract with City or let it run down.
5. City seem to have got the hang of this and I'm sure they will make it hard for Sunderland to get Key on the cheap, if S'land still want him.
6. If Key has a storming start to the season, he might be in demand at Xmas, which would raise his price.

I'm glad we didn't sell him : we might not have gotten promoted without him, and that promotion means a bigger income for us. City might also think he
has done his duty and be prepared to let him go for a reasonable fee, rather than a very good one. So, as I say, you could be right, but nobody can say for sure what his transfer fee will be if he departs. I reckon Key is glad he didn't miss this season, too - he'll remember it forever.

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
I have no idea of the 'big extras' you talk about but my informant (a current players Dad) told me that the club had been offered around 1m for Josh Key but turned it down as they valued him at 1.4m. I don't think this is cloud cuckoo land at all. I believe Joel Randall went to Peterborough for a similar fee last summer. Keys still contracted for another 12 months, his price has not decreased. He's just helped us to promotion and must have been one of the most regular starters, a young energetic wing back from our esteemed academy. Of course he's worth 1.4m.

What do you value him at?

Colesman Ballz

You could be right. However,
1. The fee for a League 1 player moving to a Ch'ship team is probably greater than that of a League 2 player moving to League 1 club.
2. With presumably a higher budget next season, if they really want their man they might be persuaded to fork out a few hundred thousand more.
3. It would depend on whether there was a bidding war.
4. Sunderland don't know if he'll sign a new contract with City or let it run down.
5. City seem to have got the hang of this and I'm sure they will make it hard for Sunderland to get Key on the cheap, if S'land still want him.
6. If Key has a storming start to the season, he might be in demand at Xmas, which would raise his price.

I'm glad we didn't sell him : we might not have gotten promoted without him, and that promotion means a bigger income for us. City might also think he
has done his duty and be prepared to let him go for a reasonable fee, rather than a very good one. So, as I say, you could be right, but nobody can say for sure what his transfer fee will be if he departs. I reckon Key is glad he didn't miss this season, too - he'll remember it forever.
One thing that you have missed in your comprehensive analysis is that the Sunderland manager who wanted to sign Key was Lee Johnson (son of Gary). He subsequently got the old "heave ho", and maybe the new manager has no interest ? Alternatively maybe a DOF pulls the strings there and would still be keen ? Time will tell of course.

Grecian Max

I thought Key signed an extension until the end of 2023/24?

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
I don't think the club confirmed the length at the time?