• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Summer Transfer Thread

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
there was a theme yesterday on signings

Ocean signed
Bass rumoured
Fisher re-joined Yeovil...

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
Oh Matt, please please sign someone soon to save us from all the drivel on this thread.
Are you getting crabby?

Thames Valley Red

An interesting supposition. I do wonder how accurate it is - personally I know only a handful of people who currently live and work more than a couple of hundred miles from their place of work and whilst two large a week isn’t to be sniffed at, I’m not sure it’s be enough for me to uproot my family and move to the other end of the country for potentially two years at best. But, I guess, as you allude, such is the life of a professional footballer.
It depends on the industry you work in, I have worked for periods of time in Melbourne (4months), Bangkok (4months), Warrington (1 year), Colchester (2 years) and now live in the Midlands as I can commute up to 100 miles a day 3-4 days per week. I work in East Anglia, Nottinghamshire and South Wales at present. Yes, probably slightly unusual, but the industry dictates. I have not include the shorter trips to 20 plus countries over my career. As a footballer it is no great shakes to uproot for a few years or commute. I commute miles now due to schooling for my kids. I am sure many footballers do this as well. Don't the Barrow players all train in Manchester as an example. I agree unusual, but possible. They probably get a shared house or apartment with a couple mates to cut down the miles. Living in say Nottingham and commuting to Northampton is doable. Christy Pym probably wont move to play for Mansfield I bet.

Antony Moxey

The point being, and you say this yourself, is that in the ‘normal’ world, it IS unusual. But, football’s not the normal world.

tonykellowfan

I think also you need to factor in that a lot of footballers are just young lads who like to hang out with their mates when not playing.

You take a 20 year old 200 miles to a new club and that can be quite a lonely experience.

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
I think also you need to factor in that a lot of footballers are just young lads who like to hang out with their mates when not playing.

You take a 20 year old 200 miles to a new club and that can be quite a lonely experience.
I've long said this about taking youngsters on loan (when you could loan them for a month at a time).

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
I can’t believe we’re so bored that we’re discussing this again. Yes, players can move to Exeter if they have to but as has been said repeatedly most players don’t have to. Why choose Exeter if you also have the chance to stay closer to home, plus probably have a lot less travel to away games and, if you’re from anywhere outside London, cheaper property prices.

STURTZ

Well just glad Tim and Jevani didn't think that.

iscalad

Are you getting crabby?
Nothing of the kind. Just looking to move things sideways......

STURTZ

Great news! Saw four magpies this morning, we'll have a few signings before the day is out!

Mark my words....