• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Sonny Cox

Moomin Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
My guess is he will play a few early games then go out on loan. If he can score a few goals at the likes of Truro or Tiverton then he may get his break after January.
Yeah that’s what I think too. Matt always talks about players’ pathways and he’d develop more by being exposed to higher level non league football for 6 months and we can then look at his progress come January.

That being said, if he scores 5 goals + in pre season, we may well be tempted to hold on to him and use him off the bench!

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
Yeah that’s what I think too. Matt always talks about players’ pathways and he’d develop more by being exposed to higher level non league football for 6 months and we can then look at his progress come January.

That being said, if he scores 5 goals + in pre season, we may well be tempted to hold on to him and use him off the bench!
They said that about Diabete and Storey, but if they're good enough and needed they'll be in the team.

DJG.ECFC

My guess is he will play a few early games then go out on loan. If he can score a few goals at the likes of Truro or Tiverton then he may get his break after January.
I agree but I think it could be Taunton in the conference south rather than those two clubs in the league below

ExmouthMart

Very similar to Rowbotham , clinical inside the box , best finisher at the club or so I’m told
Surely Matt Jay is the best finisher at the Club?! Lots of potential and lots of money to come hopefully for Cox in the future. After the disappointment of Seymour it would be brilliant for him to fulfill his potential in the First Team before moving on to bigger and better things.

andrew p long

This is my one concern. We know that the manager favours a big, strong striker with more skilful players off him; there were lots of reasons why Ajose and Seymour struggled but one of them was that they never naturally fit in to the manager's preferred system. Realistically Cox isn't going to be able to play the Nombe/ Zanzala/ Bowman role but is he going to be good enough to force the manager to change his way of setting up the team to accommodate him.
Yes, and at the risk of scaring people in terms of playing style, for me Sonny is similar to Seymour and Ajose.

But MT may change system again this season, particularly if Key is sold. With the departure of Randall and Randell last summer the previous formation of 4-2-3-1 was switched to 3-4-1-2.

Moomin Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
They said that about Diabete and Storey, but if they're good enough and needed they'll be in the team.
I agree, as per my second paragraph!

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster

I seem to recall (correct me if wrong?) but didn't Seymour score a few goals last pre-season? Therefore, whatever Sonny does I feel Matt will already be clear what he intends to do for his development. I think some fans naturally get a bit ahead of themselves and forget Sonny is only 17 and only played about 10 games last season for WSM. He is still growing physically and needs I would have thought at least another year in men's football - look at Ollie to see how long it took him to get ready for leeague football

IndoMike

Apparently, according to the nhs, the growth of most boys ends at around 16 years of age, although they might gain an inch in height within a year or so. Muscles keep developing until the age of 40. I was a bit surprised by both of these facts.

andrew p long

I think this is right, but if Sonny does really well in pre-season then the key test will be in August. That's a busy month for fixtures, with at least two games, possibly 3, where we normally rotate (League Cup and Papa Johns). If Sonny plays and scores in games like that then he may be used os one of the main strikers for the season. MT may hold fire until mid/late August on signing the final striker for the squad (we need at least 2, probably 3). And then decide on Sonny's loan once the transfer window shuts in September.

Grecianpasty

I wonder if Weymouth would be another option, seeing as how they have just been relegated to the national league South.

As stated in my previous post, I believe he's better than that level, and if the opportunity to go to Yeovil or Torquay presented itself it would be a win win for all parties.