• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Sonny Cox

Andy_H

Apparently, according to the nhs, the growth of most boys ends at around 16 years of age, although they might gain an inch in height within a year or so. Muscles keep developing until the age of 40. I was a bit surprised by both of these facts.
I'd strongly question that assumption, from personal experience with proper training and feeding, young lads are still growing up to about 17 & 18 some even up to 19. I've seen Junior Entries in the Military who've joined at 16 & 16+ as weedy individuals finish their training 6 months later as rivals for Capt Hurricane and then, when they've gone out into the big wide world of the British Armed Forces continue to 'grow' until they're Charles Atlas lookalikes!
You only have to look at young Hartridge to see how that also happens in football, at the end of one season he was of average build, then the next he wouldn't have looked out of place in a No 4 shirt at Sandy Park.

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
I wonder if Weymouth would be another option, seeing as how they have just been relegated to the national league South.

As stated in my previous post, I believe he's better than that level, and if the opportunity to go to Yeovil or Torquay presented itself it would be a win win for all parties.
Weymouth are a bit of a basket case of a club. I'm not sure we'd allow him to go there after we loaned Joel Randall to them and he hardly played.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
I'd strongly question that assumption, from personal experience with proper training and feeding, young lads are still growing up to about 17 & 18 some even up to 19. I've seen Junior Entries in the Military who've joined at 16 & 16+ as weedy individuals finish their training 6 months later as rivals for Capt Hurricane and then, when they've gone out into the big wide world of the British Armed Forces continue to 'grow' until they're Charles Atlas lookalikes!
You only have to look at young Hartridge to see how that also happens in football, at the end of one season he was of average build, then the next he wouldn't have looked out of place in a No 4 shirt at Sandy Park.
Agreed. Though it makes me think of the scene in Life of Brian:

Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: Yes! We're all individuals!
Brian: You're all different!
Crowd: Yes, we are all different!
Man in crowd: I'm not...

The deluder

Weymouth are a bit of a basket case of a club. I'm not sure we'd allow him to go there after we loaned Joel Randall to them and he hardly played.
Bit harsh on Weymouth. NL last season. It was only a previous manager (and former Exeter player) who didn't rate Joel. Football is all about opinions after all.

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
It's not an assumption : i's fact, as provided by the NHS and other institutions. I researched it. As I said in my post, I was a bit surprised by that, but who am I to argue with such esteemed scientists.

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
It's not an assumption : i's fact, as provided by the NHS and other institutions. I researched it. As I said in my post, I was a bit surprised by that, but who am I to argue with such esteemed scientists.
Its not fact. Hving worked with young men for many years and having three boys myself aged from 17-22 I can refute that 100%. In fact just go and speak to 100 parents in the street!

burtiew

Absolutely, ... at 18 I was a lanky skinny streak of p*** weighing 9 and a half stones. By my 19th birthday I was the overweight tub of lard that I am today.

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
Bit harsh on Weymouth. NL last season. It was only a previous manager (and former Exeter player) who didn't rate Joel. Football is all about opinions after all.
I still haven't forgiven them for that lunchtime kick off when their catering huts had no food.

#StillFuming

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
Its not fact. Hving worked with young men for many years and having three boys myself aged from 17-22 I can refute that 100%. In fact just go and speak to 100 parents in the street!
You need to argue it out with the NHS, Saint James. I'm just the messenger.

Cowshed Grecian

All this talk of being physically strong enough at 17 bewilders me abit, I don’t think it’s all to do with that. Micheal Owen was 5ft 7 and hardly a man mountain he broke into Liverpool’s first team at 17 and was playing at a World Cup at 18. It’s more adjusting to the pace and technicality of men’s football. The boy is going to be huge, I say unleash him as soon as we can.