• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Sol Campbell to Macclesfield?

Stelios

When black former players see the likes of Gerrard, Lampard and Barton walk into managerial jobs so easily I think they're entitled to raise an eyebrow or two. That doesn't mean they should get preferential treatment. They just want equal treatment. Personally I think Sol Campbell will be a disaster but I'd like to think that was down to how he talks about himself and not the colour of his skin.

You may not like what Ramone says but he may not be wrong. I remember a report on Radio 4's Women's Hour a few years ago regarding the fitness tests for police officers. More female officers fail the test than men. The numbers are very small but it is a fact. What is the issue here? Well, apparently this was discrimination. If more women are failing a test it is not because a small percentage aren't as fit as the men it is because the test is discriminatory. The solution? Make the test slightly harder for men and slightly easier for women. So both sexes have the same failure rate. This is equality in some eyes.

To most people everyone doing the same test and being judged equally is equality. To others different people doing different tests so they both get the same outcomes is equality.

I don't know whether the police ever changed their test as it was merely a report/discussion on the issue. But it's not a giant leap to suggest the same thing may be going on in our Armed Forces.

Spoonz Red E

Very well known Exeweb poster
I remember a report on Radio 4's Women's Hour a few years ago regarding the fitness tests for police officers. More female officers fail the test than men. The numbers are very small but it is a fact. What is the issue here? Well, apparently this was discrimination. If more women are failing a test it is not because a small percentage aren't as fit as the men it is because the test is discriminatory. The solution? Make the test slightly harder for men and slightly easier for women. So both sexes have the same failure rate. This is equality in some eyes.

To most people everyone doing the same test and being judged equally is equality. To others different people doing different tests so they both get the same outcomes is equality.

I don't know whether the police ever changed their test as it was merely a report/discussion on the issue. But it's not a giant leap to suggest the same thing may be going on in our Armed Forces.
According to this police recruitment guide there is no gender bias.

"The Test is based on what is expected of Police officers in the course of their normal duty and now is described as a 'job related fitness test' (JRFT) This JRFT makes no distinction between gender or age of the candidate, it is what is reasonably expected of every Police officer doing their duty."

https://www.policeoracle.com/careers/how_to_become_a_police_officer_the_police_fitness_test.html

Stelios

According to this police recruitment guide there is no gender bias.

"The Test is based on what is expected of Police officers in the course of their normal duty and now is described as a 'job related fitness test' (JRFT) This JRFT makes no distinction between gender or age of the candidate, it is what is reasonably expected of every Police officer doing their duty."

https://www.policeoracle.com/careers/how_to_become_a_police_officer_the_police_fitness_test.html
Thank you Spoonz (y)

The Police Fitness Test has undergone dramatic change in the past five years. It is, in all honestly, considerably easier than it once was and most people with a basic level of fitness should be ale to pass it with very little training.

https://www.policeuk.com/fitness_test.php
If you make it easier there is no need to differentiate ;)

When black former players see the likes of Gerrard, Lampard and Barton walk into managerial jobs so easily I think they're entitled to raise an eyebrow or two. That doesn't mean they should get preferential treatment. They just want equal treatment. Personally I think Sol Campbell will be a disaster but I'd like to think that was down to how he talks about himself and not the colour of his skin.

You may not like what Ramone says but he may not be wrong. I remember a report on Radio 4's Women's Hour a few years ago regarding the fitness tests for police officers. More female officers fail the test than men. The numbers are very small but it is a fact. What is the issue here? Well, apparently this was discrimination. If more women are failing a test it is not because a small percentage aren't as fit as the men it is because the test is discriminatory. The solution? Make the test slightly harder for men and slightly easier for women. So both sexes have the same failure rate. This is equality in some eyes.

Weren't both Lampard and Campbell both linked in some capacity and at some point with our vacant managerial position this summer? Neither 'walked' into our position as presumably MT fought them both off . Let's hope his suitability and credentials were the determining factor, ex England International or not!

jrg333

People who are 'sure' about institutional racism in football [sic] because they've seen examples of 'radio pundits' criticising Darren Moore and the Daily Mail having a go at Raheem Sterling have a very unusual definition of 'institutional.

...and by 'very unusual' I mean completely incorrect of course. The Daily Mail and Talksport are not 'the institution' of football; they are the press. Best to ensure that you're using a term correctly before throwing it around with such reckless abandon, chaps.

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
I agree with the institutional racism comment sign of the chimes. Currently Raheem Sterling is the victim of english football, prior to that it was Ashley Cole. Both great players whom gor some unknown reason are tbe victims of the media and general hatred. Would this be the case if they weren't black? Im not so sure.
CASHley Cole brought a lot of the $hit upon himself for talking terms with a rival club ! Sam Allardyce is white and I wouldn't want him at our club, and he scored more goals than Cashley.

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
CASHley Cole brought a lot of the $hit upon himself for talking terms with a rival club ! Sam Allardyce is white and I wouldn't want him at our club, and he scored more goals than Cashley.
Ramone : The point is not that a club wouldn't choose a white manager cos he's crap: the question is would a club not choose a black manager cos he's black.

Last edited:

Stelios

People who are 'sure' about institutional racism in football [sic] because they've seen examples of 'radio pundits' criticising Darren Moore and the Daily Mail having a go at Raheem Sterling have a very unusual definition of 'institutional.

...and by 'very unusual' I mean completely incorrect of course. The Daily Mail and Talksport are not 'the institution' of football; they are the press. Best to ensure that you're using a term correctly before throwing it around with such reckless abandon, chaps.
It's a simple numbers game for me. How many black players have there been in the past 40 years. How many black managers/coaches have there been in the past 40 years?

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
Ramone : The point is not that a club wouldn't choose a white manager cos he's crap: the question is would a club not choose a black manager cos he's black.
Don't see a difference tbh Mike in either of those 2 people ive named above neither of them have shown they can be trusted , someone's colour has never mattered to me you can be an a$$hole in any skin tone.

The 2 scenarios you put forward and complete opposites if the black guy has better qualifications then choose him don't choose him over anything else but qualifications, Would you like to be given a position of power purely based on your skin colour ? I certainly wouldn't over someone who is better qualified to do the exact same job.

Andy Holloway

Remind me again what colour Noel Blake was?