• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Sol Campbell to Macclesfield?

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
I think it would be a diabolical appointment.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Given Macclesfield's financial situation I wouldn't have thought they could pay much as a wage.

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
I don't think Campbell is too woried about the wages, he just wants an opportunity.

He's spouted off enough about how good a coach he is and he only doesn't get a chance because he's black, hopefully this will be his opportunity to show his excellence.

Tbh hes set himself up for a hiding

Andy Holloway

As good footballers go I would have Campbell on the same level as the likes of Jack Charlton, who did make it as a manager. Not as good as Beckenbauer, Cruyf Zinedine Zidan, who were great successes as manager.
I'll see your Jack Charlton [as being good] and raise you a Paul Gasgoine [who was diabolical]!

sign of the chimes

Sol was captain when we won the FA Cup back in 2008. He's got a chant and everything. I should idolise him.

However, [in my opinion] he comes across as a pretty rubbish bloke. Nothing to do with his politics, certainly nothing to do with the colour of his skin, he's just the epitome of the worst generation of English football(ers). He's got a sense of self-aggrandisement that beggars belief.

English football has clearly got a problem with institutional racism. Given the generation of ex-players that are now in managerial posts that at least a quarter aren't 'white' is a massive clue. However, I wouldn't let Sol manage my local garage (thanks for the cup win though fella, you were a pretty handy centre-half).

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
I agree with the institutional racism comment sign of the chimes. Currently Raheem Sterling is the victim of english football, prior to that it was Ashley Cole. Both great players whom gor some unknown reason are tbe victims of the media and general hatred. Would this be the case if they weren't black? Im not so sure.

Stelios

Who hasn't almost swerved off the road when being informed they were only being offered £50,000 a week?

[But yes. There is still institutional racism in football. Only last year I heard a radio pundit saying Darren Moore should not be offered the WBA manager's job permanently despite the fact he had shown how well he could manage a team in the caretaker role. I mean he literally proved it. He has obvious natural leadership skills, a fantastic record at the end of the season and almost pulled off a miracle. But no, he was a 'Number 2', apparently (facepalm)]

sign of the chimes

I agree with the institutional racism comment sign of the chimes. Currently Raheem Sterling is the victim of english football, prior to that it was Ashley Cole. Both great players whom gor some unknown reason are tbe victims of the media and general hatred. Would this be the case if they weren't black? Im not so sure.
Sterling's treatment makes my blood boil. I've no problem with people questioning his attributes as a player, but the analysis/judgements on other bases are very different to those being applied elsewhere.

sign of the chimes

Who hasn't almost swerved off the road when being informed they were only being offered £50,000 a week?
Indeed! my employer was only offering minimum wage and six creme eggs at christmas and I nearly took out a lollipop lady.

The Cole autobiography quote absolutely nails the issue.

CREDYGRECIAN

Very well known Exeweb poster
Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
I’d give it 6 weeks