• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

should we have a banner at St James Park?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grecian_In_Exile

Very well known Exeweb poster
Definition of stupid, knowing the truth, seeing th
Didn't we fight two wars and a civil war for our country? Why are they all running and not fighting, it seems to be 90% men coming from the photos I've seen...
what pitchforks v bombs, yeh let's get our pitchforks and go help eh?

tavyred

you want to read up on some 'REAL' history, you'll find out just how appallingly we treated people within our empire, perhaps we should feel just as guilty for our forefather disgusting actions!!
I know my history Numb Nuts!
I was trying to put the German banners in context by suggesting that their national collective guilt (justified or otherwise) might be the reason they feel the need to publicly display their welcome for refugees/ migrants etc.
Guilt for British actions in the past is another matter......idiot!

Grecian Max

I know my history Numb Nuts!
I was trying to put the German banners in context by suggesting that their national collective guilt (justified or otherwise) might be the reason they feel the need to publicly display their welcome for refugees/ migrants etc.
Guilt for British actions in the past is another matter......idiot!
When in reality it's down to many more German football clubs being openly political as opposed to the odd example over here.

tavyred

That's a very dated 70s view tbh. Modern Germans don't feel 'guilt' and neither should they have to.
I agree.
However anyone who says the spectre of 20th century Germany doesn't still influence the political and cultural attitudes of Germans today is plain daft.

StroudGrecian

I think the banners in Germany have more to do with the open political leanings of certain clubs, which is less prevalent in this country. Hardly a surprise that left-leaning St Pauli, SV Babelsberg, Bayern etc etc have been at the forefront of this.
As GiE has said, this should not be a political issue, it is a humanitarian one. There are calls from all sides of the political spectrum for this government to open its eyes and do more to help.

It is welcome news that their position seems to be shifting and I understand the reasons why the focus should be on refugees bordering Syria - that is a laudable strategy, but meanwhile there is a humanitarian imperative to also help refugees already in Europe.

Last edited:

Grecian Max

I agree.
However anyone who says the spectre of 20th century Germany doesn't still influence the political and cultural attitudes of Germans today is plain daft.
That's true. But just as important was the break up of their country post-war...

Grecian Max

As GiE has said, this should not be a political issue, it is a humanitarian one. There are calls from all sides of the political spectrum for this government to open its eyes and do more to help.
I don't disagree with that at all. I'm just putting the banners into context.

StroudGrecian

I don't disagree with that at all. I'm just putting the banners into context.
Understood. The impression your post gave me was that you considered the banners to be left-wing.

tavyred

Understood. The impression your post gave me was that you considered the banners to be left-wing.
Fair enough.
Your mistake.

StroudGrecian

Fair enough.
Your mistake.
Sometimes I really do wonder about you Tavy - we are discussing whether a banner at SJP could help folk who are in desperate need. You just seem to be spoiling for a spat. Grow up.

Status
Not open for further replies.