• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

should we have a banner at St James Park?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barum

No. This is a football club, not Hyde Park Corner.

ECFC traveller

No they are all to busy running for their lives after having their homes shelled or ransacked by soldiers.
These aren't migrants they're refugees. No propaganda can convince someone fleeing war not to come here.

A banner is a sign to the government that we welcome any refugee who should come to our country, our city and our communities.
Didn't we fight two wars and a civil war for our country? Why are they all running and not fighting, it seems to be 90% men coming from the photos I've seen...

Grecian Max

Very well known Exeweb poster
The banners in Germany are more to do with their collective guilt over the past than anything else, so no need for us to follow suit in my opinion.
I think the banners in Germany have more to do with the open political leanings of certain clubs, which is less prevalent in this country. Hardly a surprise that left-leaning St Pauli, SV Babelsberg, Bayern etc etc have been at the forefront of this.

Last edited:

Grecian Max

Didn't we fight two wars and a civil war for our country? Why are they all running and not fighting, it seems to be 90% men coming from the photos I've seen...
It's a pretty complex conflict though, with at least four different 'sides'...

Certainly a distinction has to be made between immigrant and refugee - I'm in favour of letting women, children and families in over single blokes.

tavyred

Why would Germany feel guilt over Syria?.
The post WW2 German guilt complex is well known and as a result it has and still does influence German attitudes. I'm surprised you weren't aware of this phenomenon.

Last edited:

Grecian_In_Exile

Definition of stupid, knowing the truth, seeing th
No they are all to busy running for their lives after having their homes shelled or ransacked by soldiers.
These aren't migrants they're refugees. No propaganda can convince someone fleeing war not to come here.

A banner is a sign to the government that we welcome any refugee who should come to our country, our city and our communities.
this is my stance too, who is going to make the banner?

Grecian_In_Exile

With the greatest respect, I would suggest that it would be be far better .to forward the money for a flag to a suitable charity assisting the refugees.
why not do both?

Grecian_In_Exile

No need now as the Government seem to be finally doing the right thing. The banners in Germany are more to do with their collective guilt over the past than anything else, so no need for us to follow suit in my opinion.
you want to read up on some 'REAL' history, you'll find out just how appallingly we treated people within our empire, perhaps we should feel just as guilty for our forefather disgusting actions!!

Grecian Max

The post WW2 German guilt complex is well known and as a result it has and still does influence German attitudes. I'm surprised you weren't aware of this phenomenon.
That's a very dated 70s view tbh. Modern Germans don't feel 'guilt' and neither should they have to.

Grecian_In_Exile

Quote Originally Posted by memoman View Post
I should hope so. Been mooted on Twitter and I'd like to think the club would support it

Don't think the club should get involved in politically charged issues like this.
but it's not political, it's humanitarian

Status
Not open for further replies.