• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Saville report

Stuffy

Well-known Exeweb poster
Never done Northern Island. Served two and a half years in Malaya/Borneo during the Indonesian confrontation. Borneo was scary but I will always remember a time in Malaya at a world war 2 Jap airfield north of small town called Kluang, some Indonesians had parachuted in and some of their equipment was found in and around the airfield.

One night, a day or so after the discovery, I had to man a DZ (dropping zone) for a practice night parachute supply drop from a RAF Blackburn Beverley at that airfield. We were required to form a 'T' and shine a torch at the incoming aircraft which then dropped 'one ton containers' in and around us.

For those who criticize our soldiers, I'd like to tell them that apart from holding a torch, I also held a fully c*cked Stirling sub machine gun incase there was any Indonesians hid in the shrubbery less than fifty feet from where I stood, make no mistake, I was really, really scared and ready to shoot at anything,
so unless you've been in any life threatening situations that British soldiers are still having to put up with today, I suggest you jump off your soapbox and keep your opinions to yourself.

StroudGrecian

Very well known Exeweb poster
Never done Northern Island. Served two and a half years in Malaya/Borneo during the Indonesian confrontation. Borneo was scary but I will always remember a time in Malaya at a world war 2 Jap airfield north of small town called Kluang, some Indonesians had parachuted in and some of their equipment was found in and around the airfield.

One night, a day or so after the discovery, I had to man a DZ (dropping zone) for a practice night parachute supply drop from a RAF Blackburn Beverley at that airfield. We were required to form a 'T' and shine a torch at the incoming aircraft which then dropped 'one ton containers' in and around us.

For those who criticize our soldiers, I'd like to tell them that apart from holding a torch, I also held a fully c*cked Stirling sub machine gun incase there was any Indonesians hid in the shrubbery less than fifty feet from where I stood, make no mistake, I was really, really scared and ready to shoot at anything,
so unless you've been in any life threatening situations that British soldiers are still having to put up with today, I suggest you jump off your soapbox and keep your opinions to yourself.
C'mon Stuffy, you're entitled to air your opinion but no-one else is? The last thing we need is a second Alf Garnett on here.

Last edited:

tavyred

It`s a case of my country, right or wrong for me!
Colonel Nathan Jessop USMC said it for me.............
"Son, we live in a world that has walls and those walls need to be guarded by men with guns. Who's gonna do it? You? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Santiago and curse the Marines; you have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know: that Santiago's death, while tragic, probably saved lives and that my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives.
You don't want the truth because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties you want me on that wall, you need me on that wall. We use words like honor, code, loyalty. We use then as the backbone of a life trying to defend something. You use them as a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you," and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest that you pick up a weapon and stand a post. Either way, I don't give a damn what you think you are entitled to.":)

Stuffy

Well-known Exeweb poster
C'mon Stuffy, you're entitled to air your opinion but no-one else is? The last thing we need is a second Alf Garnett on here.
First time I've ever mentioned it on Exeweb and eight hours later I wish I hadn't.

To my fellow Greeks, I apologize. It seems I lost my temper. :$

angelic upstart

"Son, we live in a world that has walls and those walls need to be guarded by men with guns. Who's gonna do it? You? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Santiago and curse the Marines; you have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know: that Santiago's death, while tragic, probably saved lives and that my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives.
You don't want the truth because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties you want me on that wall, you need me on that wall. We use words like honor, code, loyalty. We use then as the backbone of a life trying to defend something. You use them as a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you," and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest that you pick up a weapon and stand a post. Either way, I don't give a damn what you think you are entitled to.":)
Talk about stuck up his own arse.

Which "wall" was he defending when he said that?

Bittners a Legend

The nation state is a 19th century construct and a significant reason for many of the conflicts and problems this world faces. Of course made worse by the way MNCs transcend borders but people cannot. I don't think walls are going to help anybody.

StroudGrecian

The mindset of the military dictator.

Thankfully we live in a parliamentary democracy, and everyone should be accountable for their actions.

Poultice

Talk about stuck up his own arse.

Which "wall" was he defending when he said that?
I may be fishing for a whooosh here, but you do know it is a qote from a film ?

Jack Nicholson plays crusty old Marine Colonel in the dock to Tom Cruise's Lootenant prosecutor, "Few Good Men" ?

I suspect our poster thought it was a documentary.

angelic upstart

Nah, no woosh. I haven't seen the film, and seeing he was a yank, I presumed it was real, because yanks are all a bit funny like that. :)

I added the yanks are funny like that to try and provoke responses

Poultice

Eh? You're the one who was moaning about how expensive it all was 6 or 7 posts back.
What is it about you and Bittner that you pretend to be so clever yet make such stupid comments.

Of course it was hideously too expensive, mainly because of the Suits drawing their truly offensive wages, but that is secondary to the fact that our army is still employed as an agent for the Great Satan killing civvies. No lessons were learnt at the time and they certainly haven't been since, DC standing up apologising with his bottom lip quivering is just b*ll*cks

The money does matter, the real issue matters more.