• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Saville report

StroudGrecian

Very well known Exeweb poster
I must admit a grudging respect for Dave in this instance, having the cajones to say what should have been said 38 years ago, and having the humility to say it properly.

Three simple words from me.

About F*cking Time.

Bittners a Legend

I was just about to start a similar thread.

I was astonished to find there wasn't one on here already.

One of the darkest hours in British post '45 history.

Oldsmobile-88

£192M for the cost of the inquiry!!....Some of those lawyers must have made a fortune..

I think we all knew what the outcome was going to be..12 years seems to be stretching it out a bit..

StroudGrecian

£192M for the cost of the inquiry!!....Some of those lawyers must have made a fortune..

I think we all knew what the outcome was going to be..12 years seems to be stretching it out a bit..
Think how much cheaper it would have been if those soldiers hadn't lied.

Bittners a Legend

Over the course of 12 years £192m works out at something like 40p each a year ...

... to provide at least some sort of justice for unarmed, innocent people to be murdered and then discredited in death should not be measured by price ...

... the extraordinary document is an incredibly important moment in British history and provides a sense of closure for families wrongly robbed of loves ones.

Of course though those murdered by the IRA may be unhappy but that is not to detract from the momentous moment of the Saville enquiry.

Oldsmobile-88

Think how much cheaper it would have been if those soldiers hadn't lied.
That maybe so..but £192 million...That is a scandal..

Bittners a Legend

40p each a year...come off it...

Oldsmobile-88

40p each a year...come off it...
Of course it looks small in that context,Bitts....But it still adds up to a crazy amount of money...

Anyway lets hope this dark chapter is closed now...

Bittners a Legend

Of course it looks small in that context,Bitts....But it still adds up to a crazy amount of money...

Anyway lets hope this dark chapter is closed now...
£192m may seem like a lot of money to you or I, but in reality spread over the course of 12 years it is a very small price.

Further, and most importantly, I don't believe you can put a price on justice.

Poultice

Spot on Olds, just another money grab by the Suits.

Of course the soldiers lied, of course most of the dead were innocent, as were most of the victims of the IRA and the UVF, we don't need a Suit boondoggle to tell us that.

The whole process of judicial review is a license for Suits to make money, as soon as a train crashes or any other disaster occurs they start rubbing their hands together, "where there is blame" the Suits are in there ripping off the public.