• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

RIP Terry Cooper

grecIAN Harris

Very well known Exeweb poster
Yes,that was unreal especially as how poor the team were performing on the pitch that day.
I remember him shouting at Scott Hiley as Scott was about to take a corner.Scott looked totally perplexed to see his gaffer with a gaggle of fans šŸ˜
Didn't that all come off the back of twenty minute rendition of 'Terry Cooper's Red and White Army' by the travelling faithful? It at least something like that according to legend.

Oldsmobile-88

Didn't that all come off the back of twenty minute rendition of 'Terry Cooper's Red and White Army' by the travelling faithful? It at least something like that according to legend.
That was at Carlisle a couple of months later.

At Hartlepool there was a chant of ā€œBring on your Mrsā€ before he came over in reference to a comment he made post defeat at Bognor in the FAC when he told the E&E his Mrs could have played better šŸ˜

What a absolute legend that man was at SJP.

E07ED65E-7FAC-496B-996B-4711585380BA.jpeg

onemansview

My home is Chesterfield but my heart is in Tokyo
While Iā€™m just a bit too young to have seen Coops in his pomp as a player, from what Iā€™ve read your doing him a bit of a disservice. As I understand it, he was widely regarded as Englandā€™s best player in the 1970 World Cup, prompting Pele no less to describe him as ā€˜the best full-back he had ever played againstā€™. Moreover, Iā€™ve read on more than one occasion that it was Coops who led the way for modern-day full-backs. Itā€™s only a shame he endured such an horrific injury when he was in his prime or heā€™d probably be even more revered as a player than he is. RIP Terry.
That was a great England team in 1970, and it was a terrible injury and probably stopped him being remembered as one of the best full backs of all time. He will live long in my memory for giving us that fantastic season. That football was fantastic. It is hard to see it being bettered in the forseeable future.

Oldsmobile-88

That was a great England team in 1970, and it was a terrible injury and probably stopped him being remembered as one of the best full backs of all time. He will live long in my memory for giving us that fantastic season. That football was fantastic. It is hard to see it being bettered in the forseeable future.
He broke his leg at Stoke in March 1972,subsequently missed the FA Cup Final win against Arsenal that year.
He would have had many more England Caps if it were not for that injury.

He also wore white boots.You had to be good to wear that colour in those days !

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
I do hope the Big Bank does a rendition of the "Terry Cooper's Red and White Army" next Saturday", possibly after the minutes silence/applause.

Oldsmobile-88

I do hope the Big Bank does a rendition of the "Terry Cooper's Red and White Army" next Saturday", possibly after the minutes silence/applause.
That will be fantastic...

Roberto

RIP Terry. Thanks for our one and only Championship.

Spanks

Administrator
Staff member
Arguably the greatest of all City legends.

A man that brought me more sporting joy and happiness than any other.

I couldn't have thanked him enough then, I haven't been able to since, and I couldn't now.

Condolences to Mark and all the family and friends.

Thank you Terry.

gilbertshoot

Arguably the greatest of all City legends.

A man that brought me more sporting joy and happiness than any other.

I couldn't have thanked him enough then, I haven't been able to since, and I couldn't now.

Condolences to Mark and all the family and friends.

Thank you Terry.

View attachment 6601
On a micro budget, free transfers, youngsters and players seeing out their careers he assembled easily the most entertaining side I've seen at the Park. Plus the money they earned the club in transfers.
Very probably wouldn't be a club today without those heady years.
RIP, mate.

grecIAN Harris

Not to mention he bought the biggest cult hero to have graced The Park, Danny Bailey. He also turned a struggling right midfielder into the club's second best ever goalscorer in Darren Rowbotham (waits to be challenged on this).