• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

RIP Terry Cooper

Benguin

My best memories as a city fan to date.

richard_portland

Very well known Exeweb poster
Backing Gary Caldwell, thanks Matt and good luck.
My dad had taken me to watch city occasionally from 1977, but when I started working full time in 1988 I realised I could start coming regularly starting with Terry’s first game home to Wrexham. Home form was pretty good that season including a run of seven straight wins, but 89/90 was absolutely fantastic. Was probably too early in my time watching city to appreciate just how good it was at the time.

we played some great stuff, especially in that league cup run winning 3-0 three times on the trot , and 2-0 up v Sunderland before we sadly couldn’t quite hold on for a quarter final. Saw them quite a bit away that season as well and played really well but somehow lost a lot more than we should have. Great times, thanks Terry. RIP.

ExmouthMart

The best season ever. The only time I’ve been confident going into Home games and if the weaver went down in the penalty area you knew we were on our way. Great players and a Manager the fans and players could look up to and relate to because he had played at the highest level. Along with Alan Ball as Manager my proudest memory of supporting Devons finest. RIP.

budegrecian

Simply the best side we've ever had. How he managed to assemble that side I'll never know.
You will forever be adored by all City fans that had the privilige of watching that oh so special season.
A very very useful top flight & international full back to boot.
Thoughts to all his family at this time.
RIP Terry.

ElTorro

Terry Coopers Red and White Army
RIP and thanks for the best season ever.
I seem to remember lots of late winners at home from crosses into the box or from corners. The team always believed they would win.

malcolms

Very well known Exeweb poster
Coops was a tough man, typical Yorkshire and not someone to 'mess' with. He was 'old school" in every way and didn't like people he saw as non football people being involved in team matters, although he always had a good relationship with Ivor Doble. It was never going to be easy coming back and the pressure of trying to keep a sinking ship afloat second time round took a toll on his health. Spent his last few years in the Canary Islands. Thoughts with Mark and his family.

Reactions: Egg

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
A very very useful top flight & international full back to boot.
While I’m just a bit too young to have seen Coops in his pomp as a player, from what I’ve read your doing him a bit of a disservice. As I understand it, he was widely regarded as England’s best player in the 1970 World Cup, prompting Pele no less to describe him as ‘the best full-back he had ever played against’. Moreover, I’ve read on more than one occasion that it was Coops who led the way for modern-day full-backs. It’s only a shame he endured such an horrific injury when he was in his prime or he’d probably be even more revered as a player than he is. RIP Terry.

gilbertshoot

1990 - home games, sunny afternoons, champagne football, Neville, Rowbotham, Whitehead, Tyson, some poor team annihilated, more champagne/cider, THAT McNicol hat trick, 'We're going up as ******* Champions!'
Best. Grecian. Team. Ever
Rest in peace, mate.
You brought so much joy to us all

Red Monster

What a season that was 30 home games in all competitions
Won 25 and drew 5.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
While I’m just a bit too young to have seen Coops in his pomp as a player, from what I’ve read your doing him a bit of a disservice. As I understand it, he was widely regarded as England’s best player in the 1970 World Cup, prompting Pele no less to describe him as ‘the best full-back he had ever played against’. Moreover, I’ve read on more than one occasion that it was Coops who led the way for modern-day full-backs. It’s only a shame he endured such an horrific injury when he was in his prime
I saw TC a lot in his prime and he was a world class overlapping FB. Leeds were at their best unplayable with him and Gray on the left and Reaney and Lorimer on the right.