• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

RIP Terry Cooper

Citygaff

Rip Terry

RIP Terry. I remember chatting to him when ECFC were in a Windup meeting during his second spell. He was truely upset with the state of the club and finances and always wanted the very best for us fans and the club. Nice bloke, Great footballer

otterton reds

I remember Hartlepool away in 1988 & Terry Cooper came into the away end & had a chat with the City fans.
RIP

Moomin Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Sad news. Starting watching City in 1989 and it took 18 months for me to see a defeat at SJP under Cooper’s leadership. At age 8, I just assumed Exeter never lost at home! Have very fond memories of 89/90 and Cooper certainly knew how to build a team and we were amazing.

It’s a shame that his return to the club ended so badly but he will always be remembered as the man who guided us to our greatest single season. RIP, TC.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
What a season that was 30 home games in all competitions
Won 25 and drew 5.
And, if memory serves me right, three of those draws would have come in cup games. one would have been against Norwich, who were top of the old first division at the time, in the third round of the FA Cup, and another against top-flight Sunderland in the FA Cup. Can’t think who the third would have been against.

As an aside, the Chris Vinnicombe goal against Blackburn, when we walloped ‘em in the League Cup, was a thing of real beauty.

east_mid

Well-known Exeweb poster
That 89-90 season was something special. RIP.A lot of Leeds players during that era have died over the last year.

denzil

RIP Terry Cooper !! Sympathies to Terry's Family and son Mark.

"We've got Terry Terry Terry Cooper
On the Bench, on the Bench"

Last edited:

grecIAN Harris

Very well known Exeweb poster
It's hard to add more to what has been said but to sum up what has been said about him being an old skool winner. In his interview with Tony Gubba after the Norwich game he was more disappointed with the fact we had conceded so quickly than we'd just held one of the best teams in the country to a draw, Norwich were top 3 in Division 1 iirc and building a side that a couple of seasons later would go slaying some of Europe's giants. We had switched off instead of staying focused.
Rest In Peace Terry, thanks for all the memories.

Oldsmobile-88

Will always be remembered for taking us to be D4 Champions. RIP Terry.
Yes....Still the Grecians only meaningful bit of silverware.

Oldsmobile-88

I remember Hartlepool away in 1988 & Terry Cooper came into the away end & had a chat with the City fans.
RIP
Yes,that was unreal especially as how poor the team were performing on the pitch that day.
I remember him shouting at Scott Hiley as Scott was about to take a corner.Scott looked totally perplexed to see his gaffer with a gaggle of fans 😁