• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Retained List 2021

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
I’d imagine most people are struggling to find the right words to describe it. How he gets away with it is anyone’s guess. What does Taylor see in him?! It’s like Seymour universally lambasted on here for being pants but in Taylor’s eyes our go to striker. If that’s the benchmark…….. Jesus, Mary, Joseph and the wee donkey.
Maybe we can afford the Wee Donkey ?

budegrecian

No massive surprises and those slight one's for me (Will Dean) explained fairly by Matt in his interview although I think Will can still have a decent pro career as a holding midfielder. The shopping list he sets out is an accurate reflection on what is, and might be, needed.

The only thing I am unsure of is Goalkeeper. Obviously we need two new keeper's for the first team squad along with Jack Arthur as 3rd choice/out on loan. Given that any small chance of Harry Lee signing probably means a commitment of being in the first team squad, it might be one keeper needed but this is an outside possibility. Obviously we want Jokull back but waiting around until pre-season to see if he is available and if we can get him sounds a bit unsettling as to who we can realistically get in before we know Jokull's position. Getting a first choice keeper in when he knows that ideally we want Jokull back might be tricky. The alternative is getting a back up keeper in and then having to scramble a bit late on if Jokull doesn't come back.

Jake has given plenty over his years with us and I hope he gets a decent club nearer home. It will be interesting to see where Williams ends up and whether the opportunities given up at the start of the season come back to haunt him. Sweenz deserves the contract offer for the way he has performed this season. Hopefully Lewis signs but both himself and Sweenz will depend on what other offers they have in comparison to our offers.
It sounds like we will know before the month is out about Harry Lee. If he signs (please!!) then he will be our second choice as you suggest. I'm guessing Jokull will want answers reasonably quickly from Reading; I can't imagine he will want to be 2nd or 3rd string having enjoyed playing so much. If he's allowed to go out on loan again the question is where? My son listens to Darragh MacAnthony's (Peterborough Chairman) weekly postcast & he has said that Jokull was regarded as the best keeper in Lge 2. So we could face serious opposition ito get him back. Would certainly rate as a marquee signing to me.
Likewise, I hope Lewis signs, I think he will get better & better if he stays fit & I'm pleased for Sweenz; he deserves the offer of a new contract. I think he's the more likely of the two to still be here next season.

True, nearest and he'd link up with Wheeler again but I can't see Jake there; is he good enough for top end of L1?
He does like to leave a foot in, while he's also happy to go down at the slightest touch, so Ainsworth might take a look.

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
It shouldn't be enough to just want to stay...In my opinion and I know it's not universally shared, Pierce Sweeney is not the level of player that we need to push on. He's always appeared to be at least half a stone overweight and as consequence, he is regularly exposed when one on one or to a ball over the top. As I say, people will support him because he came out and said how much he loves being here. Perhaps I would be more convinced if he came back for pre season a few pounds lighter...
Maybe loosing timber is part of his new contract offer ?

malcolms

Very well known Exeweb poster
Maybe loosing timber is part of his new contract offer ?
If we are having to incentivise our players to be professional, then they aren't the professionals we need...

ExmouthMart

Alan Gow too ?
Great player Alan Gow. Very skilful and didn’t he score a rabona if I remember rightly?!

ExmouthMart

Maybe we can afford the Wee Donkey ?
No more donkeys. Thoroughbreds now.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
If we are having to incentivise our players to be professional, then they aren't the professionals we need...
Perhaps you could explain the basis on which you've asserted that Sweenz is 'at least half a stone overweight' as, plainly, you wouldn't have reached such a judgement on the basis of having watched a few games on iFollow. Thanks.

malcolms

Very well known Exeweb poster
Perhaps you could explain the basis on which you've asserted that Sweenz is 'at least half a stone overweight' as, plainly, you wouldn't have reached such a judgement on the basis of having watched a few games on iFollow. Thanks.
I could have said a stone and I'm not sure i'd be far off..Does this look like a player in 'peak' condition? However, I'm not his dietician so maybe he's 'big boned'

Attachments

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
I could have said a stone and I'm not sure i'd be far off..Does this look like a player in 'peak' condition?
If that's the best you can do I rest my case. Little point the club employing fitness coaches and the like when you can make a definitive assessment on the basis of a single photo.