• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Retained List 2021

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
Not many L1 / L2 clubs in commuting distance from Ascot. Swindon? Crawley?
Only 40 minutes to Wycombe.

ChardGrecian

Who is responsible for offering Atangana an extension? If it was the same person that offered Ajose a contract we need someone else to look after our hard earned cash. Any other business would have sacked them both but unfortunately football has its own rules so players can sit and do nothing and take our money.
We lose a great example of what is good in Jake Taylor and retain a very poor player who offers nothing. Let’s hope we sign a strong midfielder and use Kite so that Atangana does not get near the first team.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
Only 40 minutes to Wycombe.
True, nearest and he'd link up with Wheeler again but I can't see Jake there; is he good enough for top end of L1?

i8cornwall

Great interview by Matt Taylor and probably shows that this frustrating season might have been worth it if next season is better, though can't really judge if he is the right man for the job till 12 months time

It probably speaks volumes that I'm not really to bothered about any of the players that have left nor if any of those offered deals stay, I'm sure now with the funds available that better options will now be brought in.

I'm hoping Seymour's turns out to be a bit like Matt Jay and worth sticking with, it wasn't so long ago that Jay was being spoken about as a waste of money etc.

It's also great to see Nige becoming the scapegoat for all the world's ills before a ball has even been kicked.... I actually agree mind as I think he is garbage but look forward to now being proven wrong in the next 12 months.

Red Bill

A marquee signing?! I am not the Manager and as I said was asking the more knowledgeable people on here who that might be or what that means in relation to Exeter City. It’s a big step from talking about it to actually doing it. Our last attempt was Ajose. I still believe a more in depth explanation of this situation needs to come from the Manager, which brings me on to your final point about what I want. Accountability. Everything you mentioned is very worthy and Matt Taylor is being given everything to push on. He has again gone through each player released about their shortcomings etc. and why they are not good enough. So is next season the season we can finally judge him?!
In response to your last point, in short, yes, next season is the time when we can judge him. As you rightly say, next season he'll have everything he can reasonably expect.

So to accountability. The manager is accountable to the club board who bears ultimate responsibility for what happens with the club and the club board is accountable to the owners, represented by the Trust Board. The Trust Board is ultimately accountable to its membership. It communicates via its regular newsletters and the publication of the minutes of board meetings and working groups. All members can contact the Trust Board and ask questions and can attend the open section of board meetings. In addition to this presentations are made to the the Trust AGM by the club and Trust chairman reporting on the years business. Also at the AGM members can subbmit resolutions that give instruction to the club board. The manager has just given an interview explaining everthing about him s reasoning about player recruitment, why some have been released and why others were retained. Personally it answered all my questions, but I appreciate there maybe others who would have liked to hear about other things, but I thought it was pretty comprehensive.

Given all this, could I ask what you understand by the term "accountability" and in what way you would like to see improvements to align it with your understanding?

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
So you didn’t watch him play but you still say he’s not good enough? 😂
Wrong thread. Sorry.

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
Nicky Law is a good example. I doubt very much that anyone had heard of him before he came to us. Rob Edwards another one.

The players we need are the ones where we think wow that is a good signing they are too good for L2.
Alan Gow too ?

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
Alan Gow too ?
Signed when we were in L1 and only top class episodically.

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
Just watched the half hour interview with Taylor, there is the odd thing I don't agree with however you cannot knock it much, very good from the gaffer.

Pobbop

A marquee signing?! I am not the Manager and as I said was asking the more knowledgeable people on here who that might be or what that means in relation to Exeter City. It’s a big step from talking about it to actually doing it. Our last attempt was Ajose. I still believe a more in depth explanation of this situation needs to come from the Manager, which brings me on to your final point about what I want. Accountability. Everything you mentioned is very worthy and Matt Taylor is being given everything to push on. He has again gone through each player released about their shortcomings etc. and why they are not good enough. So is next season the season we can finally judge him?!
I don't even know what you are arguing about here, other than spread a miasma of misery. Yes next season is the season Taylor should be judged, he has more money to make marquee signings.

Ajose was a disaster, not sure what more you want than that, it didn't work out, but every Exeter manager, that has been at a club for awhile has made disastrous signings. Cooper started off by getting rid of Breandan O'Connell to bring in Langley and Withey, ended up in his first spell by signing Hobson and Biggins, there was brilliance in between though. Let's not talk about the second spell.

Worrying over one terrible signing like a festering wound is a bit pointless, what do you want a government committee to be set up?

Oh and people comparing Atananga to Jake is going to get very tiring, as one was probably a top earner and the other has taken a pay cut supposedly, again a squad player, not worthy of much thought.