• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Red Legion Disbanded

Legohead

Banned
It's a fascinating subject in itself, 'bad language'. It's only bad until it becomes widely used by people at every level of society.

Not sure why I remember it so well but, in the 1980s, I recall listening to a well known author and playwright talking on a radio programme about bad language (don't recall who it was though).

Back then, use of the 'f word' was generally unacceptable and was largely condemned and frowned upon, although it was heard. This guy said that he believed that the 'f word' would become as widely used and commonplace as 'bloody' and 'bugger' had become at that point in time within 20 years or so.

He was spot on.
Often I hear people on the radio, especially on phone ins etc saying 'bloody' and it passes without the need for the presenter to apologise. If someone said the word 'fcuk' on the radio there would be an immediate apology and a request for the caller or person talking not to say that word again. The reason is because it's considered offensive and unacceptable.

If a young child was swearing in class then the teacher would reprimand them and possibly inform parents. Because it's unacceptable.

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
Whys it so important that children don't hear rude words? So there's a short period of time when they don't say them? Whys that important?

budegrecian

What's Steve Tully's take on this? ;)

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
I think part of the issue us that most of the "old" swearwords are religious in origin - "bloody" is from "by our lady", etc - and have lost their power. Excretory ones similarly, no-one bats an eyelid at "sh*t" these days. Whereas the newer ones are often sexual: the f-word is losing or has lost its power to shock but the c-word less so and even tolerant me still grimaces when I hear it.

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
I am not offended at all with bad language in an adult environment but when there are young children close by then I find it wrong that grown ups don’t seem to have a problem using strong language in front of them.

You shouldn’t compare the 80’s with the world now it’s very different, The club are clearly looking at this matter and rightly so because they want families to come and enjoy the day not feel uncomfortable then not comeback as let’s face it unlike the 80’s there are so many other things families can spend their money on at weekends.
I will compare as I remember that time and a lot younger then too, Families didn't go back then, Away games it was lads only, Not being sexist but just saying as it was. Nowadays is world away from back then, You can take families and even most away games will cater with family seating but don't think you won't hear the odd expletive but as a said most are aware if their are younger fans near them.

Legohead

Banned
I believe I've said this before but for away games especially I do have some sympathy with the lads and lasses who just want to go to the game, stand at the back and support their team and have a good time which may or may not include swearing etc. Traditionally away games are where fans go for the day out, have a few drinks etc and get a bit more involved in the atmosphere than they would do at home games and I don't think sanitizing this experience to within an inch of it's life is fair on those people or for the culture of football and away day fans.

Part of the problem is the fact that we get penned in to some small area of seating often due to the nature of the league or in the case of clubs with vast stadiums like Notts County due to them being arseholes and not wanting to open up more areas of seating. This can pose problems for some fans perhaps with families who don't want to be near any raucous behaviour or persistent bad language. For example like at Scunthorpe this season we were given a small section of seating in the side Clugston Stand when usually away fans would be given the whole away end seating area. If this was the case and a family didn't like the choice language or behaviour from some they could move well, well away from that and enjoy the game in their own way and the other fans could enjoy their day too without impacting on others.

With a minimal amount of seating in a small area this isn't always possible.

I just would hope that when we are all penned in to these small areas of seating that those who like to sing and swear would at least have some awareness of who is around them like young kids etc and likewise that any family with young kids not wanting to be exposed to this would seek out the best possible area for them to sit given the confines of a small stand.

Again as i've said it's really all about fans considering other fans. Fans with young kids who are sat near the 'action' in the stands so to speak who don't seek to move but complain about the language etc need to be more aware of what constitutes a traditional away day for a lot of fans and perhaps move seats. Whilst those traditional away day fans who like a beer and the buzz of an away day also need to become more aware of how their behaviour impacts on others without minimizing their enjoyment of the day and what they want to get from the experience.

Until then all we can try and do is what works best for each of us in our own individual circumstances i guess as it's nothing is perfect as much as i'd like it to be.

Last edited:

Tim Long

If someone said the word 'fcuk' on the radio there would be an immediate apology and a request for the caller or person talking not to say that word again. The reason is because it's considered offensive and unacceptable.
With most live phone ins I suspect they still have the seven second delay so they can switch to something else, as per this old Jasper Carrott routine...

Legohead

Banned
With most live phone ins I suspect they still have the seven second delay so they can switch to something else, as per this old Jasper Carrott routine...
Like Alan Partridge also. Alan, you ignorant c...………. gets cut off. Or Alan, why are you such a tw…...…….. gets cut off. :ROFLMAO:

The reason why they get cut off though and why there is the delay is because swearing isn't considered acceptable in public.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
I bloody (this isn't an obscenity) love Carrott, me.

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
Completely unoriginal and no doubt been mentioned already, but I hope the new group calls themselves Red Army.
I think Man Utd have, or did have, a famous firm called the 'Red Army'. I'm sure this is why it won't be used for City.