• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Red Legion Disbanded

Pete Martin (CTID)

Very well known Exeweb poster
It's a fascinating subject in itself, 'bad language'. It's only bad until it becomes widely used by people at every level of society.

Not sure why I remember it so well but, in the 1980s, I recall listening to a well known author and playwright talking on a radio programme about bad language (don't recall who it was though).

Back then, use of the 'f word' was generally unacceptable and was largely condemned and frowned upon, although it was heard. This guy said that he believed that the 'f word' would become as widely used and commonplace as 'bloody' and 'bugger' had become at that point in time within 20 years or so.

He was spot on.

geoffwp

Its a new generation no more fake CP / Stone Island garb in the BB , Just imagine 30/40 insurance salesmen walking through North Prospect, Going into local pubs ordering wine spritzers and asking the barman to turn the Barry Manilow music up on the jukebox ! :ROFLMAO:
ha ha ha, mate that made me snort my morning coffee.😂

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
You honestly think elderly fans will be embarrassed by language at a football game,? ? How fekkin elderly were they for fek sake. My missus reckons I'm fekkin elderly and i couldnt give a sh.it about language at the game. Jesus fekkin wept.
Mate you are older than me and a left winger extinction protester (albeit turning up to find no one there) and can swear when needed with the best of em.
Don't worry with any comments about JC I heard the other day he's stopped turning water into wine and is now got a taste for Port !! Think I may have to be a born again Nail biter soon.

IndoMike

ha ha ha, mate that made me snort my morning coffee.😂
Thank God it was only coffee you were snorting 🥴

IndoMike

It's a fascinating subject in itself, 'bad language'. It's only bad until it becomes widely used by people at every level of society.

Not sure why I remember it so well but, in the 1980s, I recall listening to a well known author and playwright talking on a radio programme about bad language (don't recall who it was though).

Back then, use of the 'f word' was generally unacceptable and was largely condemned and frowned upon, although it was heard. This guy said that he believed that the 'f word' would become as widely used and commonplace as 'bloody' and 'bugger' had become at that point in time within 20 years or so.

He was spot on.
Me error

IndoMike

He was spot on.

Just a relevant and interesting article about swearing Pete, if you're interested.

IndoMike

Mate you are older than me and a left winger extinction protester (albeit turning up to find no one there) and can swear when needed with the best of em.
Don't worry with any comments about JC I heard the other day he's stopped turning water into wine and is now got a taste for Port !! Think I may have to be a born again Nail biter soon.
Geoff knows the comments about JC were jokes, but you didn't get that

Dannyred

Sorry for keeping this up but if Dannyred is offened by bad language etc then is he old enough to remember going to a match in the 70's & 80's? Back then bad language you heard, especially as an away fan would be the least of your problems, Going to a town/city for a game you took your life in your hands, It is miles better now than it use to be and if someone hear's a few choice words then tough! My experience nowadays is that you hear a lot less bad language than you use to, TBH most (Not all) if they see people with kids etc they will tend to be more careful and if something slips out an apology does often follow
I am not offended at all with bad language in an adult environment but when there are young children close by then I find it wrong that grown ups don’t seem to have a problem using strong language in front of them.

You shouldn’t compare the 80’s with the world now it’s very different, The club are clearly looking at this matter and rightly so because they want families to come and enjoy the day not feel uncomfortable then not comeback as let’s face it unlike the 80’s there are so many other things families can spend their money on at weekends.

Legohead

Banned
Danny has a point tbf but it's useful to exercise some common sense as a fan and as a parent. For example, away games are the most vocal and often have us all confined to a small area.

Therefore the likelihood for hearing potty mouth oiks is high and the option of moving well away from this isn't always there so anyone taking young kids to an away game who doesn't want their kids exposed to constant streams of abuse or foul language should work out prior to going whether the away end will be large and sparsely populated so they have options to move.

That said it would help if fans did have some semblance of awareness of who is sitting around them and rein it in a bit if there's loads of young kids around. This doesn't seem to happen and it's a bit ignorant imo.

Home games for example in the NOG for example are different and it's unlikely you are going to experience any persistent abuse or foul language. The key is to do your homework.

I think someone who feels the need to hurl expletives excessively or generally overuses them in conversation which can be clearly be overheard by others not in their immediate circle of friends or vicinity is a ***** to be honest but it happens. I've had it in pubs before which claim to be family friendly and you sit down for a meal with family and some group of loud mouth oiks pitch up on a nearby table and start being loud, obnoxious and sweary. Generally i asked to be moved to a quieter area and demand 50% off the bill or i won't pay and that has always worked. Unless there wasn't a quieter area and i've just got up and left without paying if the establishment refuse to kick out the morons.. I won't put up with it.

Being young / drunk / just having a good time is no excuse. Others are also at the football / in pubs etc to have a good time. As Danny says, this type of behaviour is not consistent with a club claiming to be family friendly. At home games though like I said, if you go in the NOG or even the IP I doubt you'd get much issues with consistent foul language and aggressive behaviour so fans with kids should maybe choose these areas.

Football matches are a different environment however and i think it just takes a bit of common sense from both sides. The swearers to consider who is in their immediate vicinity and the non swearers who should seek out the emptiest, quietest place possible in the stands which when some clubs like Macc will pen us all in a small area of seating will do, it won't be that easy to get your kids away from poor behaviour and bad language.

It's simply about common sense, considering others and compromise. Things many people struggle with. Thus problems arise.

Swearing in public is anti social and unacceptable behaviour IMO. We all swear yes and we chat to out friends and swear but the more intelligent amongst us will be aware of our surroundings and modify our language accordingly when in public or around others we don't know. Others don't sadly.

Last edited:

i8cornwall

I am not offended at all with bad language in an adult environment but when there are young children close by then I find it wrong that grown ups don’t seem to have a problem using strong language in front of them.

You shouldn’t compare the 80’s with the world now it’s very different, The club are clearly looking at this matter and rightly so because they want families to come and enjoy the day not feel uncomfortable then not comeback as let’s face it unlike the 80’s there are so many other things families can spend their money on at weekends.
Danny quick question based on what you have just said.

will you be calling you’re new group of insurance ultras at city the Churchill’s with you’re signature chant being “ooooohhhh yes”