• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Premier League to assist lower leagues

Banksy

Very well known Exeweb poster
Post#29. Premiership B sides being allowed in League 2 as a condition of parting with any money would be the beginning of the end of the game at lower level .

Red Devon

Debating this issue on The Jeremy Vine show right now!

denzel

It's being announced that the Government is bailing out the National League clubs. Nothing about us yet

Red Devon

I’ve no idea whether they’re asking for assistance or not from the PL or Government but why would clubs like Forest Green, Mansfield and Salford to name a few who have been spending money like confetti on new players all summer consider themselves deserving of financial help.

Rosencrantz

I’ve no idea whether they’re asking for assistance or not from the PL or Government but why would clubs like Forest Green, Mansfield and Salford to name a few who have been spending money like confetti on new players all summer consider themselves deserving of financial help.
That's the rub really. A handful of clubs have carried on as normal whilst others are cutting back or close to trouble. If you don't start handing any bail out (in whatever form) equally though, you will get accusations of competitive advantages and selectivity. For example, any club can point at our Ollie windfall and say, why do we need any help to replace lost income? But if we don't receive any, but say Colchester do giving them more income...

It's a tricky thing to say, here is some cash to make up for loss of attendance, but don't spend it on additional players. I think that is a conundrum that is being danced around although the wage and squad caps might help that argument.

STURTZ

No point in sitting around waiting for help from others, that might well be in trouble themselves. There's going to be a massive melt down and many clubs are going to go bust and re form as fan owned clubs in the "non leagues". We've already gone down that road and have a model which others could follow, we need to be prepared to try some radical ideas to ensure not just our existence but also the future of some kind of recognisable football league. My feeling is the EFL is already fatally flawed and Coronavirus has just accelerated it's decline.

Red Devon

That's the rub really. A handful of clubs have carried on as normal whilst others are cutting back or close to trouble. If you don't start handing any bail out (in whatever form) equally though, you will get accusations of competitive advantages and selectivity. For example, any club can point at our Ollie windfall and say, why do we need any help to replace lost income? But if we don't receive any, but say Colchester do giving them more income...

It's a tricky thing to say, here is some cash to make up for loss of attendance, but don't spend it on additional players. I think that is a conundrum that is being danced around although the wage and squad caps might help that argument.
I hear what you’re saying, but if clubs were run properly like ecfc they would be able to cope in short to medium term, didn’t Nick Hawker say at the fans forum that we were already in a good position before the “O Money”... you don’t see Tesco and Sainsbury’s bailing out corner shops....it’s what strings would be attached to any loans that concerns me.

DB9

The clubs you mentioned have added to their squads because their owners have the money even when they didn't know when fans will be back, We all knew fans back in October was a non starter and they would of too, They haven't spent money they didn't have at all, To me if any money given out is means tested then even in L2 there would be a uneven playing field, You can't bring clubs who's owners have a few quid down to levels of clubs that don't have a pot to **** in.

Red Devon

The clubs you mentioned have added to their squads because their owners have the money even when they didn't know when fans will be back, We all knew fans back in October was a non starter and they would of too, They haven't spent money they didn't have at all, To me if any money given out is means tested then even in L2 there would be a uneven playing field, You can't bring clubs who's owners have a few quid down to levels of clubs that don't have a pot to **** in.
That’s what I mean, uneven grants would be so unfair and would probably see basket case clubs like Southend surviving in the Football League by finding a loophole to bring in a centre forward with the money and a more better run club being relegated to the Conference.

DB9

That’s what I mean, uneven grants would be so unfair and would probably see basket case clubs like Southend surviving in the Football League by finding a loophole to bring in a centre forward with the money and a more better run club being relegated to the Conference.
Sorry that is your view, We don't know what any terms of a bailout will be, How do you know there will be a loophole?