• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Premier League to assist lower leagues

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
How best can the Premier League (PL) assist lower league (LL) clubs at these difficult times ?

As a starter for 10 what about:-

1. PL clubs paying in full now outstanding payments from PPPA awards eg Ethan could generate us around £1 mill for his staged performance payments plus we get all of Ollies money now not in dribs & drabs;

2. At FA Cup 3rd round stage PL clubs have to play remaining L1 & 2 clubs so that TV revenue comes the way of lower leagues plus 'free' Covid testing to LL clubs (as Spurs did for Orient this week)

Any other ideas ?
UTC

Banksy

Very well known Exeweb poster
You made it sound like it was a fait accompli by your thread title.

StudentGrecian

Loan us players for free? Cover our test costs? Give us all their money? - The PL isn’t a charity, they won’t help for nothing in return.

The premier league care very little about the EFL, they care even less about the ideas put forward by a league two club’s fans.
Bit of a nonstarter this for me. They will give out very little help, that will no doubt be distributed unequally between the leagues by the EFL. We are lucky to have money in the bank, but same as us, this will be a very difficult year for lots of clubs.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Getting Premier League help will come at a price, such as B teams. I'm quite they are thinking that the loss of a few league teams will greatly benefit there quest for B teams.

budegrecian

I see that Frank Lampard was suggesting, yesterday, that the premier league must support EFL sides through this current crisis.
Now he's a decent guy, wasn't there when Chelsea went out of their way to screw us over and no doubt genuinely believes what he says. But perhaps someone needs to point out exactly who it is he works for and explain that whilst Bruce Buck and Co may have been prepared to spend £200m on their own team, during the transfer window, it would break their collective hearts to financially help out those lower down the pyramid.

Oldsmobile-88

Getting Premier League help will come at a price, such as B teams. I'm quite they are thinking that the loss of a few league teams will greatly benefit there quest for B teams.
Without a doubt.

If anyone thinks the PL will be handing out additional financing to the EFL without a few strings attached they are mistaken...The devil will be in the detail as they say.

Andy Holt(Accy Owner) mentioned that the reason that EFL clubs voted to start the season in early September without fans was on the premise of funding from the PL !

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
The premiership clubs should buy a lower league club and play their reserves in it. They could bin the domestic cups so they wouldn't have the embarrassment of having to play against their b teams. Job done.

Or the premiership clubs could shove their obscene amounts of loot up their arses.

RedPaul

Well-known Exeweb poster
Cash strapped Man City reportedly paying £65 mill for Dias from Benfica

Imagine what £65 mill could do for L1, L2 and NL clubs.

That's just 1 transfer. No wonder the Gov are washing their hands.

IndoMike

Loan us players for free? Cover our test costs? Give us all their money? - The PL isn’t a charity, they won’t help for nothing in return.

The premier league care very little about the EFL, they care even less about the ideas put forward by a league two club’s fans.
Bit of a nonstarter this for me. They will give out very little help, that will no doubt be distributed unequally between the leagues by the EFL. We are lucky to have money in the bank, but same as us, this will be a very difficult year for lots of clubs.
Nail on head. There will.be a lot of talk but tomorrow will never come. There is no way the PL will donate money to the smaller clubs without a million caveats.

Banksy

Cash strapped Man City reportedly paying £65 mill for Dias from Benfica

Imagine what £65 mill could do for L1, L2 and NL clubs.

That's just 1 transfer. No wonder the Gov are washing their hands.
Frankly it’s all just outright greed.As I’ve said before , with all this going on in the PL oblivious to the real world around them and the lower leagues being effectively ignored , I can see the end coming for grass roots football. One day they’ll all wake up and wonder where all the young English players went.Heaven forbid , the Premiership might just have to develop their own.Seems impossible, but this is the way football is going in this country thanks to how the money is distributed.C19 has only hastened matters.