• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Poppies

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
The poppy is something dear to my heart and wear mine all year long as some people wear a ribbon for cancer etc and do agree with her to a certain degree for not being able to show other charities emblems.
But lets face it the poppy is only usually worn for a couple of weeks a year at this time as an act of remembrance for the fallen past but remember the monies also go to help those who may fall in the future or need an extra helping hand once they have left the armed services.

The wearing of a poppy is an individual thing and should you choose not to wear one then thats up to you , but even if you dont want to wear one please drop a couple of coins in the boxes as it does go to help those people who have stood watch while you sleep.

We dont do big extravaganza's on t.v. begging you to txt in and pledge £5/10 but stand on a corner once a year in all weathers for a small bit of change in your pocket.
Great post Ramone and respect to you and all the others who put the time in to make the collections.

Once you have seen all those cemeteries in Northern France and the real poppies growing it makes this act of remembrance all the more meaningful.

Antony Moxey

Agree with the boy Yeo. It seems these days you have to wear a poppy if you're appearing on TV otherwise you'll be facing a backlash from the professionally offended that you're a Muslim terrorist who supports the 9/11 attacks or something.

Wear one, don't wear one, it doesn't matter, just remember what they're for, that's the important bit.

tavyred

It seems these days you have to wear a poppy if you're appearing on TV otherwise you'll be facing a backlash from the professionally offended that you're a Muslim terrorist who supports the 9/11 attacks or something.
That is true, and long may it happen.

Antony Moxey

That is true, and long may it happen.
If you believe that then you are a fool and a bigot who completely misses the whole point of wearing a poppy.

tavyred

If you believe that then you are a fool and a bigot who completely misses the whole point of wearing a poppy.
Typical Moxey hyperbole on show again.
In this case its the ITN Journalist who`s missing the point of the wearing of a poppy.

Antony Moxey

She isn't though is she? Besides, I thought those who fought and died did so to protect our freedom of choice. Bullying people into wearing them because it's they ought to isn't what they fought for, and even if she didn't wear one because she didn't believe in the cause then that's OK too - she's not saying no-one should wear one or that it shouldn't be allowed, merely that it's her choice not to.

As for typical hyperbole, it isn't is it? As a bully who thinks people shouldn't have a choice, perhaps it's you who's missing the whole point of what poppies are all about.

Mr Jan Yeo

Well-known Exeweb poster
Typical Moxey hyperbole on show again.
Oh the irony.

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
Great post Ramone and respect to you and all the others who put the time in to make the collections.

Once you have seen all those cemeteries in Northern France and the real poppies growing it makes this act of remembrance all the more meaningful.
Yes i have seen the Flanders fields, been to place tokens and messages on some of my family graves out there so as others that see them know these brave people wont be forgotten in years to come.

Ive also known people who have fallen foul of conflicts and wars since those times and thats why i stand with my 2 young daughters collecting for the RBL.

Poppies dont discriminate over who's grave they grow over and certainly dont over who chooses to wear one.

Just like to say thankyou to the City fans who came past today and added to our tins.

Oldsmobile-88

Thanks to you ramone & your daughters for giving up the time to be involved in collecting for the RBL...

tavyred

As for typical hyperbole, it isn't is it? As a bully who thinks people shouldn't have a choice, perhaps it's you who's missing the whole point of what poppies are all about.
Again, another of your trademark over the top responses.
I'm not bullying anyone, just trying to have a civilised discussion on a football forum, it's not me intimating someone with a contrary opinion to yours on this is a fool, bigot or a bully.
As I've said previously, I think those in the media, especially newsreaders who purport to be apolitical have a duty to quietly wear the poppy, without boring us with their silly irrelevant reasons for not doing so. I seem to remember Jon Snow a few years back suggesting that wearing a poppy suggested a pro British bias on his part when reading the news, these lefty journalists at ITN do have form in this regard it seems.