• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Poppies

GrecianLez

Administrator
Staff member
http://www.itv.com/news/2014-10-25/itv-news-presenter-charlene-white-why-i-dont-wear-a-poppy/

Members of my family fought and died in the war to give her the right to choose...

Still don't like her decision though...

Thought Mitchell summed it up well...

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/nov/17/david-mitchell-remembrance-poppies-television

Last edited:

Mr Jan Yeo

Well-known Exeweb poster
Still don't like her decision though...
Why not? She's not speaking out against the charity or the poppy itself. She clearly supports the idea and has put a lot of thought into the decision, a decision which is merely to not show support for one charity where she's not allowed by her employers to actively show support for any other. She's written a reasonable post which goes into detail of her thoughts, and which makes sense. So what's the issue?

I think that too much truck is given to the wearing of the poppy rather than actually thinking about the significance of it. The Mitchell article is pretty good, and I think that this pretty much covers my view better than I could:

The effect of these criticisms is corrosive. It means that people on TV, and appearing in public in general, will come to wear poppies primarily to avoid disapproval – in fact they're undoubtedly doing so already. Privately they may buy and wear poppies as an act of respect or remembrance, or they may not, but publicly they'll just wear them for a quiet life. "Lest We Forget" will be reduced to the level of remembering to check your flies are done up. That's not a meaningful consensus any more – that's just bland conformity.

Last edited:

Stuffy

Well-known Exeweb poster
I think that too much truck is given to the wearing of the poppy rather than actually thinking about the significance of it.
I'm one of the legion of people who rarely take a poppy, yet will deposit some change in just about every poppy collection tin they see. Speaking for myself, I don't suddenly ponder the significance of it all, rather that it's a means to generates cash to help those veterans who may welcome a helping hand.

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
The poppy is something dear to my heart and wear mine all year long as some people wear a ribbon for cancer etc and do agree with her to a certain degree for not being able to show other charities emblems.
But lets face it the poppy is only usually worn for a couple of weeks a year at this time as an act of remembrance for the fallen past but remember the monies also go to help those who may fall in the future or need an extra helping hand once they have left the armed services.

The wearing of a poppy is an individual thing and should you choose not to wear one then thats up to you , but even if you dont want to wear one please drop a couple of coins in the boxes as it does go to help those people who have stood watch while you sleep.

We dont do big extravaganza's on t.v. begging you to txt in and pledge £5/10 but stand on a corner once a year in all weathers for a small bit of change in your pocket.

I wear a poppy because I want to and I have tremendous respect for all our armed forces past and present. I am proud of the British Army, Royal Air Force and Royal Navy. I give money, they give their lives, minds and limbs so I can live my life. Great post from Ramone above.

tavyred

Very well known Exeweb poster
I'd prefer it if this clearly left leaning journalist had been honest and admitted that the wearing of the poppy offended her political sensibilities rather than make up some guff about one 'charity' getting preferential treatment over others.

Brinty IFA

I'd prefer it if this clearly left leaning journalist had been honest and admitted that the wearing of the poppy offended her political sensibilities rather than make up some guff about one 'charity' getting preferential treatment over others.
And you know that, do you? You can't accept that what she said was the truth?

tavyred

And you know that, do you? You can't accept that what she said was the truth?
No I can't.
The wearing of a poppy is clearly apolitical and part of our collective national consciousness, those in the media have a duty to reflect that fact by quietly wearing it and not drawing attention to a non controversial tradition by talking about reasons not to wear it.

iscalad

"I have decided once again not to wear a poppy on screen."
Doesn't mean she doesn't wear one when she isn't working. When I wear a poppy I pin it to my coat. I take my coat off when I'm working.

Stuffy

Well-known Exeweb poster
... and not drawing attention to a non controversial tradition by talking about reasons not to wear it.
Agreed. I find it reminiscent of the tactics used by Katie Price/Kelly Brook who'll use any means necessary to keep themselves in the public eye.