• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
So, I find myself, along with many others, politically homeless at this juncture.
The Tedburn St Mary Feudal and Reactionary party is always looking for new members Jinxy. I find it pretty lonely when I attend meetings to explain our policy on the Corn Laws. :)

elginCity

How do you know they were bussed in and weren't British Chinese?
I'm not so sure he does, the mere suggestion fuels the immigrant narrative. The likelihood of the Chinese 'bussing in' schoolkids from the far east appears to be yet more Jinx fantastical nonsense, and it'd be suprising if not.

Grecian2K

I think Jinx has got a point.
I mean, coming over here. Stealing our tennis trophies.
The very cheek of it.

fred binneys head

I'm not so sure he does, the mere suggestion fuels the immigrant narrative. The likelihood of the Chinese 'bussing in' schoolkids from the far east appears to be yet more Jinx fantastical nonsense, and it'd be suprising if not.
Almost sounds like something Farage would say. The queue for Jinxy's school will probably be on a billboard by the end of the weekend.

tavyred

Bozza on the other hand is out Corbyning Corbyn.

The world's gone effin mad.
Whisper it quietly Jinxy, but magic grandpa and the left won the argument re. austerity and public spending, it’s why I voted for the loon in 2017 after all.
I see the latest yougov has the Tories regaining 6 of the % points that they lost just after the tax hike announcement. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

Grecian2K

Whisper it quietly Jinxy, but magic grandpa and the left won the argument re. austerity and public spending, it’s why I voted for the loon in 2017 after all.
As they say "fine words butter no parsnips".
Much was "promised" but relatively little has been firmly committed so far let alone actually spent. And more and more is being slyly rowed back on.
Much as the Tory spin doctors and their sycophants might like to persuade us a new potted aspidistra plant in the waiting area DOES NOT actually constitute a "new hospital".
Nor is 100 metre (or yard, if you prefer) cycle lane a "major transport infrastructure project".
Of course, that does not stop millions being spaffed on "consultants" and "feasibility studies" before any real proposals are quietly kicked back into the long grass.
It's "spades in the ground" that ultimately count, not glossy PR releases.

angelic upstart

You've answered your own question there. What you or I or the general public does is largely irrelevant, it's business and government that can make the difference. Therefore it doesn't matter how many people their mass disruptions upset, they feel they are the best way to force the issue with the groups that matter. Upsetting people is a bonus in some ways, as ordinary people are inevitably going to be annoyed with the way the government are handling it, as Mr Jinx has neatly demonstrated.

But it does matter how many people you upset, get the people onside, and you can start really having a go at the businesses and Govt's. When it's a small percentage it simply will not work, just a bit of papering over the cracks.

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
But it does matter how many people you upset, get the people onside, and you can start really having a go at the businesses and Govt's. When it's a small percentage it simply will not work, just a bit of papering over the cracks.
Climate activists of one persuasion or another have been trying to get the public on side for decades, and achieved next to nothing. Sure we recycle a bit more, but when it comes to election day it's not high on people's priority lists. XR have decided to try a different tactic.

angelic upstart

Climate activists of one persuasion or another have been trying to get the public on side for decades, and achieved next to nothing. Sure we recycle a bit more, but when it comes to election day it's not high on people's priority lists. XR have decided to try a different tactic.
Simply because they/we need to consume less and go for the companies doing the damage. This will give the public the kick up the backside it needs.

Boring anecdote time. When I live in Holland there was a bus strike, imagine my surprise to find all the buses running that day. I got on the Leiden to Sassenheim line and they refused to take my money. Almost everyone in Holland wanted the striking drivers to get what they wanted.

Spoonz Red E

The Tedburn St Mary Feudal and Reactionary party is always looking for new members Jinxy. I find it pretty lonely when I attend meetings to explain our policy on the Corn Laws. :)
"This meeting is called to order.
Lend me your ears"