Politics Today

Grecian2K

Very well known Exeweb poster
We are the grandchildren of apes, not angels
In anticipation of all of the energy companies going bust even before the arrival of first frosts I've been stripping the shelves of rechargable batteries as well as stockpiling baked beans and pickled onions in order to ensure ongoing supplies of inflammable gas for domestic heating purposes.

It's not "panic buying". I'm merely "erring on the side of caution".

Hermann

I've just switched from one of the big 6 for the first time in my life, might have been a mistake.

Mr Jinx

Well-known Exeweb poster
Because like you, The others "erred on the side of caution" Perhaps if you and others didn't there wouldn't be a risk of the pumps running dry?
Well yes. I wouldn't do it normally, but we have a appointment on Tuesday that we just can't afford to miss come what may. And I'm sure there's plenty out there like us.

With these things, what you see is everyone running around on full tanks just in case. The forecourts run dry and there's a week or two of kerfuffle before the whole things ebbs away.

As I understand it, there is plenty of fuel just a lack of drivers to get it to the pumps. I expect Boris to bring in army drivers to help and he'll declare a blustering bombastic victory for the people by our brave barnstorming troops. Not too difficult to write the script is it.

Mr Jinx

Well-known Exeweb poster
I've just switched from one of the big 6 for the first time in my life, might have been a mistake.
Not really. If the new one goes bust, you'll just have to be moved back to one of the big 6. You won't lose or gain anything as far as I understand it.

elginCity

How are they going to cope in Europe with the paucity of HGV drivers, all of whom are covid self isolating, the empty supermarket shelves and no forecourt fuel. No EU army to mobilise either, thank the lord we got out in time. The suffering this winter will make the siege of Leningrad look like a picnic in sunlit uplands. Awaiting the glee plastered all over the red rag front pages.

How are they going to cope in Europe with the paucity of HGV drivers, all of whom are covid self isolating, the empty supermarket shelves and no forecourt fuel. No EU army to mobilise either, thank the lord we got out in time. The suffering this winter will make the siege of Leningrad look like a picnic in sunlit uplands. Awaiting the glee plastered all over the red rag front pages.
Twenty reasons why there is an HGV driver shortage - part one: 1-10 - West Country Bylines

According to this article it's not all Brexit , but Brexit is a significant factor in our current predicament.

Alistair20000

It's funny how people are comparing this to the 1970s and the winter of discontent, as someone who was there at the time, there is no comparison.
Agreed. Too many drama queens and the 24 hour media these days.

I remember queuing up for petrol rationing vouchers in late 1973. In the end we did not use them. Plus the three day week and a daft minister telling us to brush our teeth in the dark.

elginCity

Twenty reasons why there is an HGV driver shortage - part one: 1-10 - West Country Bylines

According to this article it's not all Brexit , but Brexit is a significant factor in our current predicament.
Fair comment, Suzi Woozie, Mr Covid also has a lot to answer for. That list though, reason no 1, with cabotage rules alone no longer applying must have been a massive red flag to many in the industry. As with so many other things, like the NI protocol, 'Getting It Done' was far more important than any kind of due diligence or forward Brexit planning by the Vote Leave/ERG cabal.