Politics Today

tavyred

Well-known Exeweb poster
I think Corbyn was a bit of an aberration; Labourites just got swept up in the whole romance of it. Until it turned to dung that is. Burnham, if he does end up being the next chosen one, certainly isn't what I'd consider hard left.
Corbyn was an aberration, but it was directly caused by the three quid member one person, one vote system Labour adopted.
I think Burnham would be the right choice next time round, but if Labour don’t change its system they run the risk of the rank and file installing some nutter like Rayner in as leader instead.

Mr Jinx

Well-known Exeweb poster
Corbyn was an aberration, but it was directly caused by the three quid member one person, one vote system Labour adopted.
I disagree.

Sure, the £3 thing was a contributing factor but, being on many other forums and boards at the time, as soon as Corbyn put his name forward back in 2015 I was taken aback at the widespread love in. And this wasn't just looney lefties, it was across the spectrum.

This convinced me that he was going to win and so I put my money down at 14-1. If I had done it a day earlier it would've been 80-1, but it took me a day to get a feel for things on the boards. People just got completely swept away and in the end it wasn't even close. Lots simply felt it was time for a complete change in tack. That was before its inevitable demise of course, when everyone then goes and blames Corbyn. Doh.

Last edited:

Mr Jinx

Well-known Exeweb poster
On another note, sadly it looks like panic buying is back. Lots of shelves at our Sainsburys are bare. Not as bad as March last year and I'm hoping we don't go back there. FFS

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster

Grecian2K

Very well known Exeweb poster
We are the grandchildren of apes, not angels
One way of reducing the UK Carbon Emissions i suppose.
But aren't we supposed to be running short of CO2?
Isn't that what's causing the current "food crisis"?? Perhaps we should all try exhaling a bit harder to "save Christmas"???
Who to believe, eh?
(PS: The Jinx at a mere Sainburys :eek:. Appreciate you may not wish to mix with the hoi poloi en route to Fortnum & Mason for your weekly shop, but surely there's a Waitrose nearby? Whatever next? Marcus Rashford on telly pleading for "Jinx-Aid"? Still, if things get too grim "oop-norf (London)" I'm sure that you can rely on emergency food parcel arriving with a Tavistock postmark if things get too dire. Failing that you can always pop out to the local Academy for a quick Chinese )

Last edited:

Mr Jinx

Well-known Exeweb poster
But aren't we supposed to be running short of CO2?
Isn't that what's causing the current "food crisis"?? Perhaps we should all try exhaling a bit harder to "save Christmas"???
Who to believe, eh?
(PS: The Jinx at a mere Sainburys :eek:. Appreciate you may not wish to mix with the hoi poloi en route to Fortnum & Mason for your weekly shop, but surely there's a Waitrose nearby? Whatever next? Marcus Rashford on telly pleading for "Jinx-Aid"? Still, if things get too grim "oop-norf (London)" I'm sure that you can rely on emergency food parcel arriving with a Tavistock postmark if things get too dire. Failing that you can always pop out to the local Academy for a quick Chinese )
Indeed. This Saturday's slap up of Poached Swan washed down with Proles' Tears has sadly been put off chez Jinx.

Now Tavy, about that food parcel....

Grecian2K

Very well known Exeweb poster
We are the grandchildren of apes, not angels
Indeed. This Saturday's slap up of Poached Swan washed down with Proles' Tears has sadly been put off chez Jinx.

Now Tavy, about that food parcel....
Sadly for you it was revealed on the local news last week that the famous Tavistock Goosey had to be cancelled again this year.
So it looks like the most you can hope for this year from the West Devon farmer's market might be some indigenous larks tongues, chaffinch brains and otter noses for your festive fodder (sadly from your point of view the wolf nipples and Tuscany fried bats are likely still to be stuck in a container lorry off the M20 due to post-Brexit bureaucracy...and, as for the dromedary pretzels for your evening munchies, well dream on)

Mr Jinx

Well-known Exeweb poster
Kier has just released a document on his "Vision for Labour".

John McDonnell was quick off the mark to rubbish it calling it a long essay unlikely to inspire voters and likening it to "the Sermon on the Mount written by a focus group".

You go girl! Handbags at dawn.
And Lord Adonis gets his claws out too:

"When you haven't got anything new to say, it's best not to say it in 14,000 words."

Ooh...touché!