• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

Mr Jinx

Very well known Exeweb poster
Looks like a new Cold War is imminent.
I think it's been coming for a while. China must be fancying their chances now though with a senile granpa in charge of their opposition.

DB9

I think the calculation the US is making is that they (and their allies) either poke their democratic noses in or they leave it to an authoritarian China to do as they please. Taiwan and Japan are welcoming this development BTW. Looks like a new Cold War is imminent.
Puts NZ in a tricky position, Haven't they opened up more trade links with China? Also India have been signing deals with China, I think the rest of the world are getting hacked off with the Western Powers sticking their noses in, Its not like life had improved for a lot of impoverished nations and China have got this knack of making people wealthy but keeping them in check at the same time, We in the West just leave nations poverty ridden with corrupt Governments.

tavyred

Puts NZ in a tricky position, Haven't they opened up more trade links with China? Also India have been signing deals with China, I think the rest of the world are getting hacked off with the Western Powers sticking their noses in, Its not like life had improved for a lot of impoverished nations and China have got this knack of making people wealthy but keeping them in check at the same time, We in the West just leave nations poverty ridden with corrupt Governments.
Australia, Taiwan, Japan and S.Korea are not western powers and are viewing this development positively.
I suspect NZ will have to make a ‘choice’ in the years ahead.
Interesting that Merkel and Macron are meeting tonight, with the French saying that an EU army with strategic capabilities needs to be turbocharged in the light of France being “stabbed in the back” with this announcement.

Last edited:

tavyred

I think it's been coming for a while. China must be fancying their chances now though with a senile granpa in charge of their opposition.
Good point, although for those at the top of the US industrial military complex, whoever is president is probably an irrelevance. 🤷‍♂️
France have accused Biden of using tactics straight from the Trump playbook....ouch!
They ain’t happy! 🤣

Mr Jinx

Good point, although for those at the top of the US industrial military complex, whoever is president is probably an irrelevance. 🤷‍♂️
France have accused Biden of using tactics straight from the Trump playbook....ouch!
They ain’t happy! 🤣
In a way, I don't blame them. The sudden link up of US & UK under a Biden presidency is a most curious one. He's out Trumping Trump, but you know what, I think he's too far gone to even realise.

tavyred

In a way, I don't blame them. The sudden link up of US & UK under a Biden presidency is a most curious one. He's out Trumping Trump, but you know what, I think he's too far gone to even realise.
All’s fair in love and defence contracts Jinxy.
Just been watching France24 and their running with the story that there is a perhaps a perception in the WH that France is weak on China. Got to love the EU foreign minister bemoaning the fact that the EU commission was not informed of the announcement. Delusional or what? 🙄

Grecian2K

All’s fair in love and defence contracts Jinxy.
Tell that to the poor folk in Yemen. :cry:
Still they don't have the same 💰💰💰 (or contacts in the flat racing) fraternity as "Abdullah Bin Bombing" and his cronies, do they?

Mr Jinx

The RNLI helping dinghy folk on to these shores is one thing.

Police helping eco protesters onto Motorway junctions so that they can bring traffic to a complete standstill for lengthy periods is another. Protecting the Tarquins and Cressidas from evil working class folk angry at having their working days brought to a halt beggars belief.

I can't work out what is going on. This certainly isn't the type of government that I voted for.

Biden is out Trumping Trump.

Bozza on the other hand is out Corbyning Corbyn.

The world's gone effin mad.

angelic upstart

The RNLI helping dinghy folk on to these shores is one thing.

Police helping eco protesters onto Motorway junctions so that they can bring traffic to a complete standstill for lengthy periods is another. Protecting the Tarquins and Cressidas from evil working class folk angry at having their working days brought to a halt beggars belief.

I can't work out what is going on. This certainly isn't the type of government that I voted for.

Biden is out Trumping Trump.

Bozza on the other hand is out Corbyning Corbyn.

The world's gone effin mad.
Re the climate protest, I don't get why they do as much as possible to be disliked by the general public, it makes no sense at all. I've left my fridge door open all day and started eating meat at lunchtimes just to annoy them.

Isn't it something like 70% of emissions are made by 100 companies anyway? Why don't they just sit down outside those companies?

Re the rest of your message, ever get the feeling you've been cheated?

Grecian2K

So the latest "Brexit Dividend" (according to Frost) could be the scrapping of driving licences in physical form.

Brexit red tape bonfire to scrap driving licence cards and share certificates (msn.com)

Since many rely on their licence photo card as their sole means of id - not all of us have passports (be they red or blue) how are we to prove our humble existences in future? (Especially with the parallel gerrymandering proposals to make photo id compulsory even to exercise our vote in the future.)

A cynic might even be tempted to conclude that this government will stop at nothing to disenfranchise (or, at very least dissuade) a significant proportion of the electorate, the majority of whom would, I suspect, be non-Tory voters.