• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

tavyred

Very well known Exeweb poster
Even an eminently electable leader like Starmer cant get around a Labour Party membership that votes for universal freedom of movement into the U.K. and the forced ending of private schools. Corbynism wasn’t just about Magic Grandpa being leader for a few years, the power now lies with the membership.
In this case, a far left membership.

arthur

Starmer has leadership quality. That's why he will get the gig. What's under the surface though? I don't trust Starmer and I think Long Bailey isn't robust enough to not be coerced once in power so neither can get my vote. It doesn't really matter how much others like to intellectually debate things, these are the reasons why I won't vote Labour and as we only each get one vote then no matter how uneducated I am or flippant my view on voting, my vote is still equal to anyone else's. I think this annoys some perhaps.
So who are you going to vote for?

Why don't you trust Starmer- what's he done to make you think he's untrustworthy?

Genuine questions

Grecian2K

So Priti Vacant's home office are now proposing lie detector tests (on released "terrorists" at first, but beware the thin edge of a very, very long wedge here??)

Still, after all this time I expect Jeremy Kyle is getting pretty desperate for a new gig.

arthur

....the power now lies with the membership.
In this case, a far left membership.
No it doesn't. The power currently lies with a small clique who will shortly be shown the door

Grecian2K

Don't even bother Art.

To Tavy and the rest of his band of self-appointed "defenders of the horny-handed sons of toil" anything even slightly to the left of the likes of Victor Urban and AFD are dismissed as "commie leftist pinkos".

Just waiting for his avenging band of right-wing angels to come surging down Dunsford Hill (armed with their pitchforks and burning Brands (Jo & Russell) )coming to rescue us poor, misguided Exonians from the tyranny of the evil socialst Republic of Benxeter.

tavyred

No it doesn't. The power currently lies with a small clique who will shortly be shown the door
By that you mean the posh boys that surrounded Corbyn?
Why do you ignore the influence of the NEC (far left) Momentum (far left) and the membership (far left).
They are going nowhere.

arthur

Why do you ignore the influence of the NEC (far left) Momentum (far left) and the membership (far left).
They are going nowhere.
My dear Tavy, dont believe everything you read in the Daily Mail

IndoMike

They are going nowhere.
Tavers ..by the way : do you think Starmer is far left?

IndoMike

Not me - you are absolutely right. I agree with you re: your misgivings about Starmer, incidentally.
So who has suggested to Lego that his vote is not equal to anyone else's and that this annoys some perhaps.......??
I ask you this because you agreed with his complaint.
Or is this just another cheap attempt at point scoring point for you ?.

tavyred

Tavers ..by the way : do you think Starmer is far left?
The honest answer is I don't know.
What can be said is that the far left within Labour seem quite relaxed with his potential leadership and he was seemingly happy to serve in Magic Granpa's marxist shadow cabinet.He is certainly not a Blairite.
What is probably happening is that he has a cachet amongst the middle class metropolitan left for his rabid pro-EU stance and as a reaction to the terminally unelectable Corbyn, he is seen as a serious contender to BJ and thus his candidacy is proving popular.
The bigger question however is if he is the highly electable moderate social democrat that many think he is, how does he drag the terminally unelectable NEC, Momentum factions along with him toward glory?
I don't think he can.