• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

Legohead

Banned
Just not keen on Starmer and I don't really think that just because someone is a bit shouty and lacks a bit of communication skills that they should be overlooked. I just want the person I feel I can trust most and Starmer is not that person.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Fair enough, thanks for clarifying.

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
No Labour vote from me then. Can't vote for Starmer or Long-Bailey i'm afraid. Another Labour balls up.
You have 5 years to change your mind.

IndoMike

Use of caveat as a verb addressed also here:

So there.
Not a reliable dictionary. But as I said above, languages evolve so why not use caveated...it does sound ugly , though.

arthur

No Labour vote from me then. Can't vote for Starmer or Long-Bailey i'm afraid. Another Labour balls up.
I saw Starmer on Sunday. Hugely impressive. Articulate, far from dull, sense of humour, the ability and track record to lead an organisation. Committed to assemble a team of people alongside (not behind, following) him who can go on the telly and cause people to think "that person's good, they're talking sense" . So farewell then, Barry Gardiner...

As for the "working class, people I can identify with" thing, there is the small matter of the fact that great swathes of the working class seem to have no problem with Johnson, Farage or Rees Mogg. Or that the white men over 70 were the demographic group which most loathed Corbyn, a white man over 70.

And that the most obviously northern working class member of the shadow cabinet said this https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/jan/17/stop-trying-to-out-working-class-each-other-labour-candidates-told

Time to move on from this trope..

IndoMike

Just not keen on Starmer and I don't really think that just because someone is a bit shouty and lacks a bit of communication skills that they should be overlooked. I just want the person I feel I can trust most and Starmer is not that person.
Long-Bailey is a cool dude. She's calm and has a steely inner strength. Jess Philips is emotional and seems to be a bit iffy under pressure. If I had to choose one of the two as P.M material , it would be Longy
However, Starmer (AFAICS) is the only candidate who ticks most of the boxes, who has any chance of winning an election, and anyway is guaranteed to be selected.
The Tory press will be concerned about the threat of Starmer and doubtless will start a 5-year campaign to discredit him in any way their frankly disturbed imagination will allow them.

Last edited:

DB9

Since my preferred option (Dan Jarvis) decided not to stand and I would never vote for Corbyn Mark2, Starmer does seem to have a leadership quality about him and might be able to be an effective opposition leader with a view to making a decent fist of an election fight. If he's elected as leader he'll get two elections to contest as I think 2024 is too difficult unless the whole Brexit thing is clusterfuc

arthur

Long-Bailey is a cool dude. She's calm and has a steely inner strength. Jess Philips is emotional and seems to be a bit iffy under pressure. If I had to choose one of the two as P.M material , it would be Longy
However, Starmer (AFAICS) is the only candidate who ticks most of the boxes, who has any chance of winning an election, and anyway is guaranteed to be selected.
Mike, can you imagine your average swing voter, who is quietly getting on with their life and is not particularly interested in politics, ever being inspired enough by Long Bailey to vote for her? If you do, you have a more vivid imagination than I possess!

IndoMike

Mike, can you imagine your average swing voter, who is quietly getting on with their life and is not particularly interested in politics, ever being inspired enough by Long Bailey to vote for her? If you do, you have a more vivid imagination than I possess!
I didn't say she could win an election, Arthur : I said I would prefer her to Jess P as P.M. Different and hypothetical. But all along I have said that Starmer is the one who can challenge Johnson.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
She and Burgon (or to a slightly lesser extent Rayner) would be a dream ticket.

I'll leave it to you to decide whether to read the poster before the post on this occasion...!