• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
Long-Bailey is a cool dude.
Time will tell but this comment might join our Geoff's smart call prior to the General Election that Jo Swinson "is a canny lass." :LOL:

Last edited:

Rosencrantz

Jess Phillips is too passionate (or shouty, but blustering is ok?) and honest to be a candidate for PM then? Shame really that those attributes are seen as a negative in politics. Would like to see Nandy as she is pragmatic but realistically she hasn't a chance with the (lack of) Momentum side of the party. That really only leaves Starmer as someone who can pull the party together who can also lead. Cue Labour getting hammered for not choosing a female leader.

Alistair20000

Jess Phillips has quit the race to be Labour leader.

She says she is not the person to unite the party.

Still, leaves her more time to be Jess Phillips which is pretty much a full time job in itself.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Jess Phillips is too passionate (or shouty, but blustering is ok?) and honest to be a candidate for PM then? Shame really that those attributes are seen as a negative in politics. Would like to see Nandy as she is pragmatic but realistically she hasn't a chance with the (lack of) Momentum side of the party. That really only leaves Starmer as someone who can pull the party together who can also lead. Cue Labour getting hammered for not choosing a female leader.
I don't mind passion, but her (Phillips') raison d'etre appears to be to yell "FAIRNESS" without any real substance behind it. As I said on here many pages back, a big test would be of how "statesmanlike" they are. You could see Starmer standing shoulder to shoulder with the other world leaders (people perhaps didn't see this with Boris but he's doing alright at it so far). To repeat again what I said before, I have visions of PM Phillips losing it and nutting Macron.

arthur

She and Burgon (or to a slightly lesser extent Rayner) would be a dream ticket.

I'll leave it to you to decide whether to read the poster before the post on this occasion...!
You've already had one present from the Labour Party - I can't see them giving you another any time soon

Legohead

Banned
Starmer has leadership quality. That's why he will get the gig. What's under the surface though? I don't trust Starmer and I think Long Bailey isn't robust enough to not be coerced once in power so neither can get my vote. It doesn't really matter how much others like to intellectually debate things, these are the reasons why I won't vote Labour and as we only each get one vote then no matter how uneducated I am or flippant my view on voting, my vote is still equal to anyone else's. I think this annoys some perhaps.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Starmer has leadership quality. That's why he will get the gig. What's under the surface though? I don't trust Starmer and I think Long Bailey isn't robust enough to not be coerced once in power so neither can get my vote. It doesn't really matter how much others like to intellectually debate things, these are the reasons why I won't vote Labour and as we only each get one vote then no matter how uneducated I am or flippant my view on voting, my vote is still equal to anyone else's. I think this annoys some perhaps.
Not me - you are absolutely right. I agree with you re: your misgivings about Starmer, incidentally.

Rosencrantz

I don't mind passion, but her (Phillips') raison d'etre appears to be to yell "FAIRNESS" without any real substance behind it. As I said on here many pages back, a big test would be of how "statesmanlike" they are. You could see Starmer standing shoulder to shoulder with the other world leaders (people perhaps didn't see this with Boris but he's doing alright at it so far). To repeat again what I said before, I have visions of PM Phillips losing it and nutting Macron.
Maybe she cares about fairness. If people didn't see Boris being statesmanlike and he can be (so far), why doesn't Jess get the same leeway? She isn't an idiot. She will know when the occasion calls for it (or can be told as in some leaders cases!). She can be honest without being shouty, she has shown this on interviews before.

Rosencrantz

Not me - you are absolutely right. I agree with you re: your misgivings about Starmer, incidentally.
Sorry Jase, but an issue with trust and what's under the surface? I know your affiliations but you have to see that might look a bit rich with Boris as leader of the Conservatives 😉.

Along with anyone voted in as leader of Labour, they will have the best part of five years to show trust and integrity. That will be number one on the to do list of any leader.

Grecian2K

Time will tell but this comment might join our Geoff's smart call prior to the General Election that Jo Swinson "is a canny lass." :LOL:
Well, her local electorate certainly "canned" her.