• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

elginCity

Very well known Exeweb poster
A senior Tory MP tells @politicshome: "Today is the day he [Johnson] got in the clear, but also the day when I realised we will lose the next general election"
Yes, that’s my belief too. Doubt that same realisation has dawned upon every Tory MP though, or perhaps it has, and they’re paralysed.

Understandable that some of the people might have been hoodwinked by the Brexit-in-Chief in 2016, and some duped by his ‘oven-ready’ promises in 2019, but they won’t be fooled again, not a chance.

Can anyone imagine a manifesto promise by Boris Johnson being taken seriously in 2024 ?

elginCity

“The PM has taken full responsibility”

What does that actually mean ??

DB9

Yes, that’s my belief too. Doubt that same realisation has dawned upon every Tory MP though, or perhaps it has, and they’re paralysed.

Understandable that some of the people might have been hoodwinked by the Brexit-in-Chief in 2016, and some duped by his ‘oven-ready’ promises in 2019, but they won’t be fooled again, not a chance.

Can anyone imagine a manifesto promise by Boris Johnson being taken seriously in 2024 ?
Don't forget a lot of these MP's are the class of 2019 and their first time as MP's, They will say night is day if Johnson tells them to, We are now in political times when you can be convicted of a crime yet still stay as PM, Lie to Parliament but stil stay as PM, Lie to the Queen but still stay as PM, Willing to break international law but still stay as PM, Lie when saying he takes "Full Responsibility" but still stay as PM, Back an MP who broke the rules (Patterson) by trying to change the rules on standards and lobbying but still stay on as PM, Have and back a Home Sec who was found guilty of bullying people in her dept but still stay on as PM, This is now the norm in politics and no not all MP's lie and cheat their way through, There are some reall good, Hard working MP's.

Alistair20000

"Er, that's it. Can we move on now please..."
The words Rev Blair used when it a difficult situation. Bunter has learned well.

geoffwp

“The PM has taken full responsibility”

What does that actually mean ??
I'd think it doesn't mean a thing. Hollow, like the man. He no doubt will carry on as he has no moral compass so sees no reason to do otherwise.

Alistair20000

Is there nobody in the spineless, pusillanimous Cabinet of mediocrity prepared to say it is no longer in the interests of our country to serve under Boris Johnson ?

IndoMike

Is there nobody in the spineless, pusillanimous Cabinet of mediocrity prepared to say it is no longer in the interests of our country to serve under Boris Johnson ?
Well, I did spend 2 years warning you about Johnson whilst you were still defending him. I also blasted Hancock for his negligence as Health Minister, a comment that you also frowned upon. It's no good bashing him now ; the enablers have allowed him to get dug in and it will be difficult to excavate him.

British society has changed. Through the constant exposure to reality shows, soap operas, advertising, crappy social media sites and flicking around from one show to another using remote control everything has become trivialised and disposable. Few people have the concentration span to really be concerned about issues of loyalty, ethics, justice and fairness. Johnson's many faults and deceits are simply sucked into the maelstrom of a mass of trivia. Basically speaking, nobody gives a hoot.

Johnson, having learnt from his idol, Trump, has realised that he can get away with blue murder, because whatever he has done will quickly become old news and evaporate.
To be honest, if Johnson remains in power and wins the next election it will be a poor reflection on the English people's values and ability to discriminate between what is right and what is wrong. The generation that fought in WW2 and/or suffered at home during and directly after the War really puts the baby boomers to shame.

Rosencrantz

Is that a rhetorical question?

tavyred

Anyone so inclined can probably afford to wait another 12-18 months as I don’t think forcing the issue during a European war will get them much credit with the membership he/she might be relying on to get the gig
My money is still on BJ fighting the next election and winning it, as I can’t see SKS developing enough of a personality in time to pass the ‘he’s a PM’ in-waiting’ test with the wider electorate.
That said, we do have a short parliamentary recess now I believe, and Gove is being very quiet. 🤷‍♂️

DB9

Anyone so inclined can probably afford to wait another 12-18 months as I don’t think forcing the issue during a European war will get them much credit with the membership he/she might be relying on to get the gig
My money is still on BJ fighting the next election and winning it, as I can’t see SKS developing enough of a personality in time to pass the ‘he’s a PM’ in-waiting’ test with the wider electorate.
That said, we do have a short parliamentary recess now I believe, and Gove is being very quiet. 🤷‍♂️
My views don't matter and now it will be put to one side, We'll see if its relevant when a GE is announced. What now irks me the most is now they're talking about helping with the cost of living crisis but it's taken this whole partygate debacle to "Persuade" the Government to do something, Would they of helped if partygate didn't happen?